I have had a total server crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewaldstrub

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
I have had a total server crash. Everything is not correctly working and the full windows system is damaged (empty popups, strange errors, no desktop icons etc.). BUT fortunately my Exchange-Folder seems to be untouched and completely well. So at first I started to copy my Mailbox-Folder (which includes the edb file). Is there anything else I should recover?

Now I want to reinstall everything which will result in a completely new domain with a new Exchange setup. The domain name will remain the same, but the Domain Controller and Exchange Server will be completely new. Is there a way, to reimport my edb-file into the new Exchange server after the Installation or will it crash because the new server cannot handle the old mailbox database? In fact, there is only one Mailbox I want to reimport (my own one) as I am a Student^^

So I just want to reinstall everything and import my mails again. What should I do or backup else before I format the HDD?

Do you have a fully cached copy of your own mailbox? If so, since that is the only thing you want to recover, you can open outlook - it'll drop to offline - then export to a pst. Set up the new server and import. This would be the easiest way to recover it.

Exchange version/SP/Rollup updates?

Domain Really doesn't matter here to mount a database!

If you have EDB File you can mount it only *IF* the below is true:

Exchange Organization & Administrative Group Name should be same. In case if your Exchange Organization/Administrative Group doesn't match between your Old Environment and New, The database will fail to mount with Error 1088.

If your old Exchange Server is not a Domain Controller then you may go with Disaster Recovery Process.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1148363-how-open-corrupted-exchange-server.html#post9083162

As you are building the environment from scratch you may follow the below:

From the command prompt run the command:

Find /i "/o=" "Your datbase path\Your Database Name.edb"

From the output above what we get is: /o=DATAMATICS LTD which is my Exchange organization Name and /OU=First Administrative Group which is my administrative group.

So, you would need to install Exchange with OrganizationName Specified as Datamatics. If your Exchange version is 2007/2010 then you don't need to really worry about Administrative Group. In case if your Exchange version is Exchange 2003 and if you know for sure that the name of the Administrative group is "First Administrative Group" (by default this will be the name) the you can mount the old edb file on the new server and you can reconnect your disconnected mailbox after you create an AD Account.

Also , Make sure to copy the logs as you will need them in case if your database is in dirty shutdown state.

If your Outlook is in Cached Mode, then you don't need to worry about the Data in the EDB as you will have data cached on your Client. You can export the PST & Import PST after you provision a new mailbox for yourself. but, you may have an issue when users reply to your old emails

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
S Show Total Number Of Items Not Displaying Using Outlook 9
C Export to excel missing items, but a larger total? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
H Changing Organizer of event (for single to total calendar move; long way ) Exchange Server Administration 4
B get the total unread mails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
K Gmail not removed from server Using Outlook 3
N Trouble with server names Using Outlook 1
M Shift Delete doesn't delete email from server Using Outlook 3
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
CWM550 This rule has a condition that the server cannot process? Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
B IMAP server rejects sent email - cannot deliver messages Using Outlook 2
L Help connecting to hosted exchange server 2016 Using Outlook 0
C Pop Server Changing Verizon/Aol to Yahoo Using Outlook 6
icacream Outlook 2016 “Enter your user name and password for the following server.” Using Outlook 5
R Outlook 365 update sets delete from server flag Using Outlook 1
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
T Outlook 2010 How to Delete “Orphaned” TO DO? ( Not on Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
A Connect to server to views items Using Outlook 0
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 14
icacream Enter your user name and password for the following server. Using Outlook 4
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
llama_thumper Setting up forwarders on Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 0
W Encrypted connection to server refused Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 Requesting data from server Using Outlook 0
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
I IMAP - are emails dynamically fetched from server as required? Using Outlook 2
CWM030 Name Server's Exchange Server Administration 15
CWM030 Archiving ON the imap server Using Outlook 3
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
GaryW88 2016 Archiving IMAP keeping mail on Gmail Server Using Outlook 1
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
P Microsoft Outlook is requesting data from the server Using Outlook 2
J Old unread emails on current date (MDaemon Server) Using Outlook 1
E Duplicate, nested account folders on ATT server Using Outlook 10
Cdub27 Your changes to this item couldn't be saved because Server Denied Operation (HTTP 403 Forbidden) Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2016 0x800CCC0F 'The connection to the server was interrupted' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
crazyboy Problems connecting to BCM on Server Using Outlook 2
M Problems Downloading Content from Server(s) Using Outlook 0
K IMAP Server Wants to alert you to the following: cannpt rename system folder Using Outlook 1
T Uploading Outlook 2016 Contacts to Exchange Server Drops "Company" field data in 30% of records Exchange Server Administration 4