Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter-WA

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have Outlook 365 (64-bit) installed on Windows 10 on a desktop computer. I have recently purchased a laptop computer and in setting up Outlook on this I would like to synchronize my Calendar, Contacts and tasks between these two machines.

I researched various options for achieving this and came across the article Sync Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook.com (slipstick.com)

I followed the steps provided in this article and added an Outlook.com email address alias to Outlook on the desktop computer and set the Outlook.com account to be the default data file in Outlook. I then moved all my calendar, contacts and task items to the Outlook.com account folder.

The above steps appeared to work OK, with emails still being received using my normal email POP account and with calendar and contact items being able to be viewed when clicking on the Outlook.com account.

However, after completing the above setup and closing Outlook, then reopening, whenever I click on the Outlook.com account folder within Outlook, Outlook displays a “Disconnected” message in the status bar. The calendar, contacts and tasks are not being updated due to no access to the exchange server within my account. If I click back to my normal Outlook email account, the disconnection error is not displayed. I tried removing the Outlook.com account from Outlook then adding it again, but the disconnection problem still persists.

Had the above process worked, I would have repeated these steps on my laptop. However until I can resolve this Outlook disconnection problem, I cannot get past the first stage of this suggested sync solution. Has anyone any suggestion as to what is causing the Outlook.com disconnection.

Problem has been resolved. The alias email account created for Outlook.com had possibly not been saved as the primary email address for the Microsoft account before I added this alias to Outlook. After adding the account I noted that Microsoft Outlook was still signed in under my previous primary email address, not the new alias. I signed out of my Microsoft Account then signed back in using the alias email address associated with Outlook.com. Reopening Outlook after doing this resulted in the connection to Microsoft Exchange server being established.

I have Outlook 365 (64-bit) installed on Windows 10 on a desktop computer. I have recently purchased a laptop computer and in setting up Outlook on this I would like to synchronize my Calendar, Contacts and tasks between these two machines.

I researched various options for achieving this and came across the article Sync Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook.com (slipstick.com)

I followed the steps provided in this article and added an Outlook.com email address alias to Outlook on the desktop computer and set the Outlook.com account to be the default data file in Outlook. I then moved all my calendar, contacts and task items to the Outlook.com account folder.

The above steps appeared to work OK, with emails still being received using my normal email POP account and with calendar and contact items being able to be viewed when clicking on the Outlook.com account.

However, after completing the above setup and closing Outlook, then reopening, whenever I click on the Outlook.com account folder within Outlook, Outlook displays a “Disconnected” message in the status bar. The calendar, contacts and tasks are not being updated due to no access to the exchange server within my account. If I click back to my normal Outlook email account, the disconnection error is not displayed. I tried removing the Outlook.com account from Outlook then adding it again, but the disconnection problem still persists.

Had the above process worked, I would have repeated these steps on my laptop. However until I can resolve this Outlook disconnection problem, I cannot get past the first stage of this suggested sync solution. Has anyone any suggestion as to what is causing the Outlook.com disconnection.
Problem has been resolved. The alias email account created for Outlook.com had possibly not been saved as the primary email address for the Microsoft account before I added this alias to Outlook. After adding the account I noted that Microsoft Outlook was still signed in under my previous primary email address, not the new alias. I signed out of my Microsoft Account then signed back in using the alias email address associated with Outlook.com. Reopening Outlook after doing this resulted in the connection to Microsoft Exchange server being established.

Status
Not open for further replies.