I'm thinking about switching back to POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWM550

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
One Drive subscription with Office 365 64 bit ( Monthly)

Hi Ya'll,

LONG TIME LINUX user here, but decided to give it up and switch back to Windows 10.

I haven't used Outlook in YEAAAAARS.. So I am rusty....

How do I set up a pop 3 account .pst ? right now the account is set up as IMAP, so I need to know how to set up a .pst file for the POP account, or does that automatically happen when I set up a POP account?

Why am I wanting to go back to pop? I am currently stuck on a Hughesnet connection and IMAP is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Thank the lord though our local electric company is putting in fiber internet for all of their customers. We've already got the line ran from the pole to the house, but no one on my street is getting a signal so they've had to put a ticket in for that.. ANY WHO... It wont be long!

Plus, I've never been comfortable leaving my email on a server. I just switched to IMAP this year with my domain and Fastmail ( back in Jan I think?) and have been tolerating IMAP.

[ EDIT] PS.. How do I back up the PST every week? Where are PST files stored?

Thanks,
Chris

OKAY THIS IS STUPID........ I can't add the same address to Outlook, but as a POP account... SERIOUSLY?

"This Email address has already been added"

I need to have access to the IMAP account to move emails off of the server to the local .pst.

As long as you are using Outlook desktop software, you can use POP - after you enter the address on the add account screen, click Advanced Options and add a check to the manual setup. Click connect. Choose POP on the next page.

As long as you are using Outlook desktop software, you can use POP - after you enter the address on the add account screen, click Advanced Options and add a check to the manual setup. Click connect. Choose POP on the next page.
I tried that, see message 2...

I found out if I go to the control panel and click on MAIL ( Outlook) It lets me add the account that way.

I am thinking the same thing - switching back to POP. I no longer need to access my email data from multiple devices. Back in the day of early Blackberry, I could access my POP inbox from a Blackberry, send email if I was so inclined. When I download my POP email to my desktop client, it was gone from Blackberry but I no longer needed it there. I see no benefit to entrusting my email history to a third party. I can safely store it myself.

As for Linux to Windows - welcome back to the dark side! LOL

I am just learning Ubuntu now. Unless Microsoft puts out a "Outlook for Linux", I will have to keep a Windows machine for Outlook and a few other essential programs.

The same thing is on my mind - switching back to POP. My email data is no longer accessible from multiple devices. During the early days of Blackberry, I could log into my POP inbox from my Blackberry and send email. After downloading my POP email to my desktop client, it was gone from Blackberry, but I didn't need it there anymore. My email history should not be entrusted to a third party. It can be safely stored by me. LOL

I am just learning Ubuntu now. Unless Microsoft puts out a "Outlook for Linux", I will have to keep a Windows machine for Outlook and a few other essential programs.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.

Chris

I am thinking the same thing - switching back to POP. I no longer need to access my email data from multiple devices. Back in the day of early Blackberry, I could access my POP inbox from a Blackberry, send email if I was so inclined. When I download my POP email to my desktop client, it was gone from Blackberry but I no longer needed it there. I see no benefit to entrusting my email history to a third party. I can safely store it myself.

As for Linux to Windows - welcome back to the dark side! LOL

As an old UNIX user (System III, 4.1 bsd, etc., a bit of Microsoft Xenix for a while) Linux has always fascinated me. However, almost all of the programs I use run only on Windows (or Windows and Mac) but not on Linux. For some programs, there are so-so so-so Linux open source wannabe replacements. With that said, I could save some money, but I don't want to waste endless time futzing with limitations compared to what Adobe, Microsoft, Quicken, and a gazillion low-cost utilities provide.

In the computer biz, either you make it big very quickly, or you don't. For mainstream users, the time for Linux never happened.

Just my two cents. If it matters, most of my career was in software product management and product marketing, and I had to learn a lot of hard lessons along the way.

JUST A SMALL UPDATE:

I haven't went through yet with converting my email from IMAP to POP..... I've been reading a lot of horror stories on Reddit about PST files getting corrupted.

HINT: What i've been reading about is mainly the person's main PST files were 50 to around 90 gigs!!!!!

YES... 90 GIGS!!! Lol.

Or they stored their .pst file on a Network drive.. And that's a BIGGGGGGGGG NO NO!!!

What would be the best way to move my data?

Create .pst archives by year?

Each year is its own .pst file and keep the main .pst file small?

2020 Archives.pst
2021 Archives.pst
2022 Archives.pst

and so on?

Or do ya'll have a better idea?

Only thing with each year as their own PST is, it would be a pain to search for something.

I am not even sure Outlook can do this:

But by doing each year as their own PST files, I'd have to open lets say the 3 pst files I named above, and then use the search box at the top of Outlook to search all 3 pst files simultaneously??

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I haven't went through yet with converting my email from IMAP to POP..... I've been reading a lot of horror stories on Reddit about PST files getting corrupted.

HINT: What i've been reading about is mainly the person's main PST files were 50 to around 90 gigs!!!!!
As long as you do not store the pst on a network drive or in onedrive or similar cloud service and open it in outlook from the cloud service, it should be fine. Make regular backups - how regular depends on how much mail you get. Backups can be store in the cloud, just don't open them in outlook - although syncing large data files is slow, especially in onedrive.

The max recommended size for pst files in 50GB - 49.5GB actually.

You can archive pst by year - and some of my clients do it. Searching isn't bad - instant search can search all data files that are open in outlook. But after 10 years, you have a cluttered folder list. If you close the pst files, and need to find something in them, you need to open the pst in outlook and wait for it to index... or browse for the message yourself.

I recommend archiving by multi-years - depending on how much mail you get, you might be able to stretch it to 5 years. Start a new archive pst when you are too close to 50GB to add the full year to it.

As long as you do not store the pst on a network drive or in onedrive or similar cloud service and open it in outlook from the cloud service, it should be fine. Make regular backups - how regular depends on how much mail you get. Backups can be store in the cloud, just don't open them in outlook - although syncing large data files is slow, especially in onedrive.

The max recommended size for pst files in 50GB - 49.5GB actually.

You can archive pst by year - and some of my clients do it. Searching isn't bad - instant search can search all data files that are open in outlook. But after 10 years, you have a cluttered folder list. If you close the pst files, and need to find something in them, you need to open the pst in outlook and wait for it to index... or browse for the message yourself.

I recommend archiving by multi-years - depending on how much mail you get, you might be able to stretch it to 5 years. Start a new archive pst when you are too close to 50GB to add the full year to it.
To answer your question:

I keep just about EVERYTHING that comes in... But I am going to try to stick to your " 5 years at a time" for easier search functionality.
That just makes sense when it comes down to needing to search for something, vs each year as separate .pst's.

How long does it take for OL to index a .pst file when you open it?

Oh and BTW, I found this Interesting, I just found out that you can't set the ARCHIVE FOLDER to another folder on a separate .pst file

I clicked FILE
Tools
Archive

and tried to set the default archive folder as " 2022 IN" on the new " 2022 to 2027 Archives.pst" like you said ( 5 years at a time)

But, it was only allowing me to use the current .pst which is :

"chris@MyDomain.com Chris.pst"

So to get around that, I just had to create a quick step......

"2022 IN" --- Move to 2022 IN folder on "2022 to 2027 Archives.pst"
Mark as read.

"2022 OUT" ---Move to 2022 OUT on "2022 to 2027 Archives.pst"
Mark as read.

Thanks for your help!
Chris

Yeah, the green file drawer icon for Archive goes to the Archive folder in the current pst - the clean up option (auto archive) or manual archive options use a separate pst.

Status
Not open for further replies.