Switching folders in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
In the early days of Outlook, one common "moan" from users was that when they switched folders and returned to a previously accessed folder (within the same Outlook session) the highlighted entry would be at the TOP of the folder rather than the previously last selected item. Thankfully later versions such as Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 did not exhibit this problem and Outlook would always take you to the last viewed entry, including if the folder was a Public Folder.

Having recently benn updating users to Outlook 2010 it looks like the bad old days are back - if you select an entry in a public folder, then change to a differerent folder, then change back to the original folder, the bar is at the latest message.

Since my users depend on reviewing shared items in public folders this is unworkable as they lose track of where they were. I have double checked behavour in Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (32 bit) and this only happens in 2010.

Can anyone else advise if this is a known issue and will be fixed? Since the object model provides no workaround that I am aware of, I am having to downgrade users to 2007 which is far from ideal!

Alan

I'm not aware of it as a known issue - but because it affects public folders, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix. If it didn't work in the mailbox or pst file, it would likely be fixed.

I'll see if i can confirm it and if so, report it.

I checked with MS PSS. It is in the bug database and marked for consideration in SP2. Because it worked in Outlook 2007, there is a better chance it will be fixed, but we won't know for sure until Sp2 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Can't close Personal Folders after switching to Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 2
CWM550 I'm thinking about switching back to POP Using Outlook 11
M Outlook 365 Switching from AOL to Yahoo automatically Using Outlook 5
V Switching from IMAP to POP Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Help required for multiple identities when switching from POP to IMAP Using Outlook 1
J switching BCM between to computers BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M VSTO Outlook2007 Addin. After switching from 3.5 to 2.0 Framework i get "'MSB3185: EntryPoint not sp Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Search Folders and Jump to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
C Trying to move messages between imap accounts/folders Using Outlook 5
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
P now on office 365 but getting error messages about missing Outlook 2013 cache folders Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Saving Data: Don't check certain folders Using Outlook 2
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
D This folder up to date vs all folders up to date Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Adjusting font size in folders Using Outlook 1
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
O Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. You do not have permission to log on. Using Outlook 1
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
Paul Hobbs Automatically accept "Empty Folders" prompt Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
D How To Combine Share Task Folders in just one Folder Using Outlook 0
R How to Sync *all* Google Workspace Mail Folders with Outlook 2019 (MS365) Using Outlook 3
Witzker print-list-of-outlook-folders with sort posibility Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
vodkasoda Hiding empty Folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Not sync folders not found after MS Outlook 365 update Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Shared Public Folders Access and Use Exchange Server Administration 0
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 5
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
C Synchronizing subscribed folders causes hanging during send/receive process Using Outlook 2
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
A Custom VBA to sort emails into folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
R The way expand/collapse folders is actually meant to work? Using Outlook 2
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5