lose conditional formatting when importing to Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlfrank

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I am opening [not importing] pst's from Outlook 2000 to 2010, with several hundred entries of conditional formatting (many entries in each of 24 total rules created in the "using colors" portion of the OL2000 Organize tool. Sometimes the conditional formatting comes in when the new pst opens and sometimes it doesn't. If it does, it keeps disappearing. Always. I've never been able to keep it.

I've saved copies of the view - many times. When that copy doesn't disappear entirely, the content gets changed to what I can only assume are the default settings of the PST that gets created with the profile. The newly created and saved view name is there (most of the time, but it goes away sometimes, too - to pop up later when I thought it was gone for good) but that view never has the conditional formatting.

I've tried opening the pst as both OUTLOOK DATA FILE and OUTLOOK 97-2002 DATA FILE. Both ways seem capable of bringing in the conditional formatting, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the final outcome: it still disappears.
I have tried creating a different profile, changing the name of the OL2000 pst to be "Outlook Data file - [profiile name].pst" where [profile name] is the name of the new profile. From what I've seen, this seems to be the default syntax of a OL2010 pst. I've also tried renaming the OL2000 pst, before I ever open it, to this name (and changing the OL2010 default pst to another name so there's no conflict), as well as just calling it "[profile name].pst" but this doesn't work, either.

I've created many copies of the good view (which has the correct imported conditional formatting) but the me-specific contents always disappear. Is there a correct sequence to do this - maybe I've not hit it despite DAYS of working on this now, and poring over several dozens of forums for answers. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled outlook and still no luck.

Somewhere I read there's a hidden file in the mailbox that contains conditional formatting - is this where the default is? Can I swap my good OL2000 pst with it?

Something else? I'm way beyond frustrated at this point. Hope someone can help me. THANKS!!

Conditional formatting is stored in the view. The only thing I can think is that the views created in old ANSI pst files are not stable in Outlook 2010. You need to convert to a Unicode pst. It is possible to move views to a new pst file - I'm not sure if 2010's copy view to a new folder command will copy the view to the pst, but if not see http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/copy-outlook-custom-views/ for ways to do it.

Thanks for the link. I will give it a try and let you know how I fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
R When rules lose track of "specified folder" Using Outlook 6
A Lync meeting in outlook lose HTML formatting Using Outlook 3
M Scared to lose data using iCloud with Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
0 Outlook 2010 causes computer to lose connection when opening and Send/Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 14
E msg attachments lose their recipients "smtp" address Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2007 lose the attatchment when sending through external sc Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Conditional formatting - when current account <> received account ? Using Outlook 3
P BCM conditional formatting BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
S Conditional Formatting for messages in a Conversation thread Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2016 Conditional Format for User Defined Field Using Outlook 1
S Conditional Formatting in calendar part of To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
K Conditional Formatting based on Department of person received from? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories Using Outlook 6
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
D Conditional formatting - font sizes Using Outlook 3
A Help creating macro for conditional formatting settings Using Outlook 8
B Conditional Formatting:How to use >1 value in a filter Using Outlook 7
A Using OR when organising with conditional formatting Using Outlook 1
J Conditional Formatting Upon My Reply Using Outlook 1
T Conditional dates in Outlook Calendar Exchange Server Administration 1
R CALENDAR conditional formating not consistent??? Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 conditional formatting Using Outlook 21
C View doesn't refresh (fields or formatting) Using Outlook 1
V Can one change the formatting of email title blocks? Using Outlook 0
K Outlook tasks formatting Using Outlook 4
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N How to remove signature formatting from Text in Word (accidentally taken from Outlook) Using Outlook 0
L Email to task without changin formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
K Paste from Windows Clipboard then change font without losing formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Use Word Macro to Apply Formatting to Email Using Outlook 0
makinmyway How Prevent Re-Formatting of Contact Notes Field When Syncing Using Outlook 10
G outlook 13 copy & paste without losing formatting Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 Formatting Using Outlook 1
D telephone formatting Contacts Using Outlook 2
Copwriter Paragraph formatting in blank messages/stationery Using Outlook 3
V Report stuck formatting page Using Outlook 1
T The Formatting Changes When A Recurring Appointment is Changed Using Outlook 1
J Formatting Contacts to Export for iPhone Using Outlook 0
O How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails? Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 2010 not formatting in-line comments Using Outlook 5
W Outlook 2010 Share calendar but keep color formatting Using Outlook 2
Commodore Auto-formatting of certain phone numbers Using Outlook 2
B Ok - a complicated one - but really need help (auto formatting) Using Outlook 9
E Email Formatting - Tabs Using Outlook 1
A Need method to rapidly correct telephone contact telephone number formatting Using Outlook 1
H Formatting of email conversation print outs - URGENT Using Outlook 1
K Problems with message formatting for individual user Using Outlook 1