Archiving problem in OL 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendis

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hi, everybody. I've got a situation that I don't quite understand, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to figure out what's going on. I'm running Outlook 2003 on a Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit) HP laptop with 4 GB of RAM using an AMD E-450 APU.

(Don't laugh -- the Office Pro suite was given to me...)

Anyhow, the problem is when I try to Archive my old items in Outlook. When I click File|Archive, I'll get a dialog box where I can select my Inbox and click "OK". In the next dialog box, I get the following:
Error while archiving folder "Inbox" in store "Personal Folders". You are attempting to archive your data to a Microsoft Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) which is a non-Unicode data file. To preserve multilingual data, you must choose a Unicode data file, such as the Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst). See help for more information.

Needless to say, I now have quite a few emails that need to be archived.

In Outloook 2003, when I click on File|Data File Management, the Personal Foldersfile is listed as "Personal Folders". To my weird way of thinking, this means that my .pst file IS a Unicode data file.

This is gettting rather complex. Anybody faced this before?

If the Archive data file does not say it's Outlook 97 -2002, then it's Unicode, but it sounds like you are looking at your working pst, not the archive pst.

You can do one of two things: go to File > Archive, get the pst path and check it - or just click Browse and type in a name for a new archive and click OK. This will create a new pst which should be Unicode format.

Larry -

Unfortunately, your idea didn't quite do it....

Let me explain.

In OL 2003, in File->Data File Management, when I click on "Open Folder", the folder containing the .pst files will open up. The ONLY .pst file I see is labeled "Outlook.pst". There is no "Archive.pst", as would be expected if my OL items were being archived properly.

In OL2003, when I click on File->Archive, in the Archive dialog box, the proposed Archive folder is C:\...\Microsoft\Outlook\archive47.pst. (Yes, I've tried to archive my data several times already.)
If I click "browse", I'll get a "Save" dialog box showing the folder containing the "Outlook.pst" file. When I click "OK" in the "Save" dialog box, the "Save" dialog box will disappear, and I'll be returned to the OL Archive dialog box. If I close everything out back to OL, and click File->Data File Management, then "Open Folder", I'll see just "Outlook.pst". There is no "Archive.pst".

Question: Why not?

Is is full path to C:\...\Microsoft\Outlook\archive47.pst the same path as your Personal Folders? If you paste that path (the url less the pst filename) into Windows Explorer, do you see the pst?

So if you save a new pst to use for the archive, it's not listed in the Archive dialog? It won't be in Data File Management unless it is added to the profile -archive.pst are not necessarily added to the profile.

Short answer - yes.

Pasting the path to the archive folder location (C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft) WILL bring up the folder that contains the Outlook.pst file.

However, clicking "OK" in OL's File -> Archive dialog box won't create an "Archive.pst" file, and I don't know if it should, and if it should, why it won't.

I'm not too clear -- are you suggesting that I create one as a workaround? And if so, what is the method suggested? (Through OL's File -> Data File Management dialog?)

Or am I missing something?

So you can't find any archive.pst? I would create one - if creating one using File, Archive, make it using Data File Management and then select it in the Archive dialog.

AS an FYI, I created one just now in outlook 2003 - i typed in the name and hit Ok on the open pst dialog - but it was not created until i hot ok on the archive dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.