Gmail IMAP with Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My friend's Outlook 2010 (accessing Gmail) is locking up and showing "not responding" for about 2 minutes when he deletes email or moves it to another folder on the IMAP server. Once that message goes away, everything is fine until the next delete or move. His pst file is 23 GB, I've suggested that could be the problem but he says he needs to store all that email. I am considering having him unsubscribe from some of the folders. If I do that, will he still be able to move email into the unsubscribed folders? Also, he has a copy of Outlook 2013 that we can install. Would that be any better at handling this? Thanks

BTW, he has 4 Gmail IMAP accounts in Outlook, and this does not happen on the other 3 accounts. And one of them has a pst that is 35 GB.

I am running the outlook repair tool on that problem account's pst right now.

it only found minor inconsistencies, and I had it repair them.

If he is subscribed to the all mail folder, unsub that one for sure - its just dupes of everything. You can also set gmail to limit the downloads to outlook - the mail will still be online if he needs it, but unless he actually accesses the old mail often, it doesn't necessarily need to be in outlook.

With 4 gmail accounts, I'd put them into separate send and receive groups and set them to check odd times, like 9 minutes and 13. If he doesn't need to be alerted to new mail, he can disable automatic receive and get new mail when he opens a folder.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll do that. But how do I set Gmail to limit the downloads to Outlook? Thanks

I removed the problematic account in Outlook and reinstalled it, (and I did unsubscribe to "All Mail") it still gives "Not Responding" for about a minute when I delete a message. I've been poking around in the Gmail settings. When you said limit the downloads to Outlook, were you referring to the Labels tab in Gmail, where I can check/uncheck "Show in IMAP" for each folder? (Gmail calls them Labels I see). Also I notice that on the General tab in Gmail's web interface, it says we've used 9.17GB of 15 GB, but the pst file for this account (both the old pst and new one for the reinstalled account in Outlook) is 23 GB. Why the difference? Thanks

Labels are folders in outlook - that setting just subscribes the folders automatically. If you don't need a folder in Outlook, you can unsubscribe it or set it to not show, 9+GB of the 23 GB was because of the all mail folder. That folder is everything in your mailbox - which is downloaded in the inbox and other folders. Important and Starred are also duplicates - if you have a lot marked with either, that will account from some of the "missing" 5 GB, as will assigning 2 or more labels to an item. With all mail not subscribed, outlook should refresh the mailbox and compact the data file.

The setting to limit the # of items synced is in Gmail settings - under Forwarding ad POP/IMAP. Max setting is 10,000 messages, so it may not work for someone who gets lots of mail.

- - - Updated - - -

Labels are folders in outlook - that setting just subscribes the folders automatically. If you don't need a folder in Outlook, you can unsubscribe it or set it to not show, 9+GB of the 23 GB was because of the all mail folder. That folder is everything in your mailbox - which is downloaded in the inbox and other folders. Important and Starred are also duplicates - if you have a lot marked with either, that will account from some of the "missing" 5 GB, as will assigning 2 or more labels to an item. With all mail not subscribed, outlook should refresh the mailbox and compact the data file.

The setting to limit the # of items synced is in Gmail settings - under Forwarding ad POP/IMAP. Max setting is 10,000 messages, so it may not work for someone who gets lots of mail.

After reinstalling the account, unsubscribing from All Mail, and reducing the amount of stored mail by about half, the problem persists, Outlook still goes into a "Not Responding" state for around a minute every time you delete even a single email. He has another computer that accesses that same Gmail account through Outlook, and it does the same thing. Also, his three other Gmail accounts work fine, and one of them has 40 GB of stored mail. Seems to me like the Gmail account is the problem. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.