Multiple, intermittent Outlook 2010 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I repeatedly get the Outlook 2010 errors attached below. This started after a PC processor/motherboard upgrade and moving to Windows 7 pro 64 (from Win7 Home Premium 64) and have continued for 3-4 months in spite of re-installing Office 2010 and creating a new email acct. These moves had zero impact! I have also repeatedly run scanpst on the pst files and it always finds new errors after a week or so since the previous run. The PC config is 8G ram, and a 4G quad core processor, 2T of drive space. C is on an SSD drive as are all Outlook .pst files. All drives are less than 20% full including "C".

Performance is worse after the PC wakes from sleep mode and is a little better if I shut down Outlook before going to sleep or do a full restart, but the errors still continue intermittently. This is accompanied by intermittent 15-30 sec lags on delete or trying to read a new email (Outlook is not responding).

My long time ISP/email provider is ATT/Yahoo. I'm running IMAP with syncing to iPads and iPhones. all syncing works just fine. This problem started in baby steps with the move to IMAP, but got way worse after the PC hardware and Win7 upgrade. Before the PC upgrade, errors were 1 or 2 a month, now are 10/20 per hour.

I'm seriously considering chucking Outlook for Tbird.

The last file is my send/receive settings.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: the .pst file is 450meg in size in case that's a factor

Attachments

• server bug. try again later.JPG
    server bug. try again later.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 614
  • server closed connection.JPG
    server closed connection.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 571
  • serverUID error.JPG
    serverUID error.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 562
  • uid changed.JPG
    uid changed.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 557
  • server did not respond.JPG
    server did not respond.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 604
  • send-receive settings.JPG
    send-receive settings.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 606
This error is usually caused by accessing the imap server account using two different protocols (ie, web and imap) at the same time, and in some instances, using 2 clients at the same time.

pst is fairly small, it won't be a factor in this or any other errors.

I occasionally read mail via Yahoo web site too, and it may be at same time, but infrequently.

Today am now seeing same messages on wife's laptop (Outlook 2010 IMAP). they may have been happening all along and she did not mention it. appears not to be my machine. ???

Can you explain "using 2 clients at same time". Do you mean alternately reading with Outlook and maybe TBird or another email pgm? I do not do that. Outlook is the only email program installed.

let's assume I have been using Outlook and Yahoo web at same time. How do I clear that so it forgets I did it? seems to take more than a reboot. The odd thing is, I can run just fine for 30 min, then suddenly things go south with the errors and/or long send/read delays.

Could this be an ATT/Yahoo thing?

I believe the error only comes up when you delete or move mail in web access. Just reading and marking mail read won't affect it.

Two clients: it would be web access, t-bird, Live Mail, Outlook Express. It's more likely because you 'did something' in the browser though.

BTW - I don't think ATT is a factor. Although, there are plenty of issues with the Att/Yahoo accounts. (Mostly with the passwords.)

Thanks Diane! Oddly, it's been smooth sailing this AM and I have not been to my Yahoo acct. but it's acted up in the past when I did not read mail via Yahoo. What if my wife is into her iPad email while I'm in Outlook. I have not asked her, but she's on her iPad much of the day when I'm on the PC. We have unique email addresses on the same ATT/Yahoo account. She's been out all morning.

I really like Outlook in spite of the fact that it's massive overkill for my needs at home and do not want to jump ship to Tbird. The seamless calendar integration is great and I jump back and forth constantly.

On ATT, I recently started getting those intermittent and cursed password request pop-ups. They disappear for months then mysteriously reappear. In the past, I have eliminated them (temporarily) by changing my password.

If you want to entertain a different client - try eM. It's free for one or two accounts, $50US if your needs are greater. It beats t-bird by a mile IHMO and gives Outlook a run for the money, especially with icalendar support. Oooohhhh... i just got an offer for $30. It's tempting. No idea when the offer expires - http://www.emclient.com/upgrade-to-pro?campaign=38

I've concluded the raft of Outlook 2010 errors is caused by the system waking from sleep. if I close Outlook before putting it to sleep or do a shutdown, few to no errors; do still get the "closed IMAP connection" error however. Happens within seconds of a read/send and the timeout is set at 10min, so do not think it's a legit timeout. I've learned to live with it.

Prior to moving to Win7 Pro 64bit and a new processor/mobo, I did not see this sleep issue with IMAP and the multitude of errors (see errors in 1st post). Is this waking from sleep thing expected behavior or do I maybe have a problem with system drivers?

The following does not apply as I do not access email from 2 accts.
"This error is usually caused by accessing the imap server account using two different protocols (ie, web and imap) at the same time, and in some instances, using 2 clients at the same time.

Thanks.

It could be sleep related - I know there are issues, usually involving outlook not reconnecting to the server. I don't recall seeing this exact issue but that doesn't mean anything.

Someoen on a PC hardware geek forum implied bad/outdated motherboard drivers could cause waking from sleep problems in general. That post was not Outlook related per se. However my stuff is all fairly new with a high end Asus mobo with associated drivers. maybe I should make sure my drivers are current since the board has been the market for maybe a year.

If you want to entertain a different client - try eM. It's free for one or two accounts, $50US if your needs are greater. It beats t-bird by a mile IHMO and gives Outlook a run for the money, especially with icalendar support. Oooohhhh... i just got an offer for $30. It's tempting. No idea when the offer expires - http://www.emclient.com/upgrade-to-pro?campaign=38

I switched to eM on your advice and love it. Most but not all Outlook type problems are gone, HOWEVER, I still get a nagging error intermittently where eM think's I'm offline. The error says "it will down load email when I go back on line". i.e. it think's there's no internet. After a random period of time from seconds to minutes it will snap out of it and work. In the mean time, I can't open email. Is this ATT again? Seems to happen after awaking from sleep but not positive. Thing is, often I've been reading and opening mail just fine, then suddenly it won't open the next one.

Never had grief like this with POP3 accounts and before iDevices were synced up.

Thanks for any suggestions (I know this is not an eM forum).

It almost sounds like the phone is checking mail and eM can't get a lock on the mailbox. This shouldn't happen with imap though.

If not, it's either the mail server or transient problems with your internet connection.

Hey, there's a thought. Competing with the iPhone. Will check that by powering off the iPhone for a while. One of the things I like about eM is it's so "Outlook like" (but without the superfluous complexity), I did not have to learn a new app.

I don't think it's the internet connection since I've pulled up other sites and done speed tests, all positive, while eM is still saying the internet is down.

Thanks as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.