Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKatz

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello
I've set up my calendars in Outlook.com, and I am synching via EAS into Outlook 2013.
My default or standard calendar displays and syncs correctly, but my other subscribed calendars (public holidays etc.) are not showing in Outlook 2013.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way it works?

Mike

I've been using this account for over two weeks now.
To be honest, I think this is a recent thing. I doubt I would not have noticed this when I was setting up the account.

Mike

Solved! I needed to overlay the calendars on top of each other. They were all there, but of course not showing on my shortcuts.
Thanks for your response.
Mike

I am having what I believe is the same problem. The US Holidays show at the Outlook.com calendar along with my personal entries but not at Outlook 2013. I have tried overlaying (check US Holidays calendar in folders bar, then left arrow to combine the holiday and personal calendars. ), but when I reopen Outlook, either the personal calendar or holidays is unchecked, not appearing. How to get the OL13 calendar just appear as it does at Outlook.com.

Also, I changed the Holiday calendar color at Outlook.com, but this color change doesn't make it to Outlook, using the check other calendars and combine method. Can I change the Holiday colors at OL13?

I am having what I believe is the same problem. The US Holidays show at the Outlook.com calendar along with my personal entries but not at Outlook 2013. I have tried overlaying (check US Holidays calendar in folders bar, then left arrow to combine the holiday and personal calendars. ), but when I reopen Outlook, either the personal calendar or holidays is unchecked, not appearing. How to get the OL13 calendar just appear as it does at Outlook.com.

Also, I changed the Holiday calendar color at Outlook.com, but this color change doesn't make it to Outlook, using the check other calendars and combine method. Can I change the Holiday colors at OL13?

What I found:
1) If you are using a Favorites folder, you cannot have a shortcut to it. You need to switch the left pane to Calendar mode / view to see the merged Calendar.
2) You need to save the merged calendar if you want Outlook to remember it. I think it's in the View menu, there's a save overlay option.

) You need to save the merged calendar if you want Outlook to remember it. I think it's in the View menu, there's a save overlay option.

I didn't find a "save overlay" option. but I did use View>change view> save current view as new view. This didn't help. Reopening Outlook still gave me my personal calendar without the holiday overlay. In fact changing view to the "new view" didn't add the overlay either. I had to click on Holiday calendar to add it.

I have found how to change Holiday calendar color, however: right click calendar tab>color

I didn't find a "save overlay" option. but I did use View>change view> save current view as new view. This didn't help. Reopening Outlook still gave me my personal calendar without the holiday overlay. In fact changing view to the "new view" didn't add the overlay either. I had to click on Holiday calendar to add it.

I have found how to change Holiday calendar color, however: right click calendar tab>color

Apologies, got it wrong. With the merged calendar created, go to the Home menu/tab, select Calendar Groups, and select Save as New Calendar Group.

Sad, but this doesn't work either. saved New Calendar Group, closed and reopened outlook and saw only the Holidays opened. Under my New Calendar Group, personal calendar sat unchecked. Checked personal calendar, both were showing, merged, closed and reopened, now only personal calendar open without Holidays.

Sad, but this doesn't work either. saved New Calendar Group, closed and reopened outlook and saw only the Holidays opened. Under my New Calendar Group, personal calendar sat unchecked. Checked personal calendar, both were showing, merged, closed and reopened, now only personal calendar open without Holidays.

I'm getting beyond my depth here, but it works for me. Are you checking the check box of the new calendar group? That checks all the calendars that are in the group and displays them:

Outlook.png

I think you have to save the merged calendar with the boxes all checked if you want to start up that way.

yes, group checked. In fact when I restarted Outlook, and found either Holidays or Personal not showing, the Group was checked but one or the other calendar was not.
Similar to many things in Outlook, doesn't make sense.
Thanks for the help, Mike. Perhaps someone can chime in with more ideas.

It should work like Mike describes - I'm guessing that there is a delay in syncing the calendars so the slow ones aren't checked. If I'm correct, don't set the calendar as your startup folder and wait a minute or two after starting outlook to switch to the calendar. Oh, and using the Folder list module can mess it up too (it doesn't support selecting multiple calendars at once.)

If that doesn't help, I have a macro that should work - it selects specific calendar everything you switch to the calendar navigation module. http://www.slipstick.com/developer/code-samples/select-multiple-calendars-outlook/

I have calendar window opening along with main window showing mail, when Outlook starts. Outlook is in win7 startup folder, and I have to file>exit when closing to get Outlook to remember to open mail and calendar screens when it starts.

I have the outlook.com folder as the startup folder, so I can see several days of upcoming appointments in the start screen. I tried not showing Calendar Folders in folder list, but that didn't help. I want folder list showing months on left side so I can move to particular weeks and months, without moving one week at a time. I also tried not having Folder List not open at all on left, calenders taking up whole screen. Still didn't open the whole group together.

In addition to getting both calendars, merged, opening at same time, I have since discovered another problem. Never know which calendar is the active one. If I have both calendars opened, may not be able to enter an appt because the personal tab isn't clicked on to designate as active. If it thinks Holidays is active, entering appt isn't allowed; even though personal and holidays are showing in the same calendar layout.

Thanks for the macro. Don't know if it will solve the problem, but I won't have time to work on it at the moment.

Looking like I'll have to chalk this up as another example of slap dash MS programing.

calendar window opening along with main window showing mail,

if you are opening two outlook windows on start, it's probably why the calendars are retaining the last used position - the window opens before the calendars are fully loaded.

Then when you select the birthday calendar and show it, it's the 'in focus' calendar, so you can't add new events to it until you select another one.

I think that I don't understand what you are trying to explain to me. Isn't the merged calendar the "last used position"?

Just tried closing both windows separately. Opened Outlook, then opened calendar as new window. Same as before: only personal calendar opened (it may be whatever calendar is first in list that opens). The second calendar in New Calendar group, the US Holidays didn't open. Had to do it manually.

Seems there is something missing that should tell it to open all calendars in group at same time, Otherwise a group is only a folder with subfolders. I can get the same effect leaving all the calendars in the normal calendar list, without a saved group.

The "merged" (it's actually an overlay, not merged) calendar arrangement is the last used but if the account loads slow, it cause problems like this.

With only 2 or 3 calendars, the groups are less useful - on a work calendar with a half dozen shared calendars, groups can make it easy to hide and show coworkers calendars.

One thing you could try - but it will wipe out your favorites folders in the mail pane - is to close outlook and restart with the /resetnavpane switch. This will reset all of the modules and if the problem is a corrupt module, it would fix it. I'm not sure it will help, but you don't have a lot of folders on the favorites list (or on the shortcut module), it won't be too painful to try.

oh well. didn't work.
I don't use favorites or shortcuts, so seemingly nothing to lose. used /resetnavpane switch. Went through the Home>save current as new calendar group routine again (must have done this 15 times today). Closed and re-opened just the calendar window (no issues about calendars reloading from internet) while mail window remained open. Same as before : personal calendar appears, no US Holidays until I click on it, then it opens merged, but active.

Apparently i have gone without seeing US Holiday on my calendar since using the outlook.com calendar . Looks like I will continue to not see them.

Unless, what happens if I do the options>calendar>add US holidays routine? I had started to do that before attempting merged calendars, and it told me that I already have them, which is clearly wrong. Would it add them to my personal calendar, and then I can skip the outlook.com holiday calendar, just like the good old, simpler, days when I had only one calendar. What do you think of this?

Well well. I just found that while Christmas (a US? Holiday), and New Years, isn't indicated on my calendar for 2014, I do see them in 2015. I haven't spent the time to check 2016, 2017, etc, to see if they appear/disappear. So at least some holidays are on my personal calendar, at least in some years.
So, if I do add US holidays I will have duplicates, at least in some years, if not all, after 2014.
Outlook is too bizarre for words.
Looks like I/You/Mike were tricked into dealing with this merged calendar mystery because of Outlook erratic behavior.
Perhaps case can be closed. I think that I can remember when New Year's eve is, at least for 2014.

If you add the holidays in Outlook, you could delete the holidays calendar in Outlook.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.