Outlook.com account overrules default account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piedro

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
When i start Outlook 2016 then the outlook.com account is opened and not the default account!
On the right side of Outlook 2016 is Outlook.com on top and default account below. It is not possible to move default account on top.
Accountsettings:
In Tab E-mail you can see that my @chello.nl is the default account and not outlook.com account.
In Tab Data files you can see that @oulook.com is the default account.
It is not possible to change @chello.nl into default account.
I tried and got the message:
The format of the selected Outlook data file (. PST) cannot be used. Outlook data files (.PST)
must have the same format as the offline Outlook data files (.OST). Select a matching Outlook
data file (.PST) or disable the cache mode in the accountsettings.

Both accounts are .OST!!!
What can i do to change my default into a real default?

In Tab Data files you can see that @oulook.com is the default account.
Technically, it's not the default account, it's the default data file.

chello.nl is an imap account? We don't recommend setting imap data files as the default data file - your calendar & contacts will be stored in "this computer only" folders and are at risk of getting lost. It can certainly be set as the default email account even though the data file is not default.

If you really want it as default, do you have all updates installed? I thought they fixed it... other way i know to make it work is here - Set Another Data File as Default When Using an Exchange Account - and step 5 isn't an option for outlook.com account but it may work if you follow the other steps.

chello.nl is an imap account? My provider, Chello, is a part of Ziggo. Ziggo again a part of UPC/Liberty Global USA.

The computer club had a help desk in Gmail but has transferred this to Outlook.com. Hence the problems any inconvience.
I take the link with the "scholars" of the club and see if we can fix it. I'll keep you informed.
It will probably be the beginning of september.
Thanks for the advice.

With best regards,

Erik Kroese (Alias Piedro)

If you only need outlook.com for email, not calendar & contacts, you can add it to outlook as imap (use the manual setup option) - then you can definitely set your account's data file as default.

The solution is very simple!
Open Outlook/ File/ Options/ Advanced
Start and exit Outlook::
Click Browse by "Outlook start in this folder", click on Inbox of the
desired account OK.

Now this problem:
The Outlook account is on top. How do I get my own account on top?
Simply shift does not work!

Ah... the problem was the start up folder, not which account was the default account. As for the account on top, you can drag the folders up and down the list (provided the Show all folders A-Z button is NOT highlighted - it's on the Folder tab)

I told you, the default problem is solved.

Second question:
In the Outlook Naviagation Pane are two accounts. I want to have the default account on the top of the navigation pane, and dragging fails!!

Do you the arrange a-z button enabled on the folder tab? Did you try dragging both up and down? Sometimes its fussy when you drag one to the very top .

Drag did it!!
When you drag the account too far then account jumps back again.
Thaks a lot!

1764-df0ef1d19868c71151495c3479b8593e.jpg

Attachments

• 2612605669.jpg
    2612605669.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 461
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Setting up an Outlook.com IMAP account Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2016 - adding outlook.com account creates a new/strange address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 18
Diane Poremsky Configuring an Outlook.com account in Outlook Using Outlook 0
D Reply Problem with Outlook.com account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
T Can't send email through connected account (outlook.live.com) - goes to Drafts folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
J Why are emails for a different pop account copied to outlook.com account? Using Outlook 1
P Using IMAP and EAS with outlook.com account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
G Outlook 2013 not syncing changes to outlook.com account calendar? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
reefclaw Outlook 2013 Cannot set outlook.com account as default data file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
S Setting up Outlook 2010 to work with custom domain outlook.com account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
M Incoming invites to my imap account does not sync to outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 29
I iPad not connecting correctly to Outlook.com account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
J Outlook Calendar will not sync with Windows Live.com account Using Outlook 9
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2016 and Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
C Outlook FROM ADDRESS -Outlook.com and Android Using Outlook 1
Z Outlook.com OST Stopped working without explanation Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Reminder duplication Outlook and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
D Outlook.com premium finally dying... what do I do with my domain? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
T upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook Using Outlook 2
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
T How do I upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook? Using Outlook 5
T Many problems with outlook.com - will upgrade to Outlook soon Using Outlook 1
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
dbjdbj Is it only me having a fun time with Outlook.com "beta" ? Using Outlook 3
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
I New Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
K Outlook.com is not showing, or finding via search, all my Contacts (People) Using Outlook 0
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
D Sharing outlook.com calendars in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
T outlook.com opens with "item not found" Using Outlook 1
M Can't send email in outlook.com Using Outlook 9
T BitDefender reporting outlook.com as 'insecure' Using Outlook 6
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
C Syncing on outlook.com Using Outlook 4
S Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27