Lost OE data when upgrading to Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I had several personal folders (containing important emails) in Outlook Express using Windows XP and recently upgraded to Windows 8. I'm unable to find the personal folders (beyond just the inbox and sent items folders) and have had Windows and Outlook professionals remote into my computer to look for/retrieve the folders and/or email files. The folders were not backed-up, as I made the ultimate mistake of assuming the info would be retained in a retrievable state during the upgrade, butallother files were successfully retained...which is an extremely frustrating part of this. Is it possible for data to simply disappear entirely during a Windows upgrade (from XP to Windows 8), or does it still exist on some molecular level somewhere on the hard drive? Is a professional data restoration company (specialized) advisable since I've had no luck with Windows support staff and reportedly high level 3rd party Outlook support techs?

They should be in the Windows.old file path. You may need to give your new windows 8 account full permissions to see the files in Windows.old\users\ appdata path to see the files.

They should all be together in

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ a GUID }\Microsoft\Outlook Express

unless you moved them to another location - but all of the folders (inbox, sent, outbox and all custom folders) should be in the folder together.

Was the inbox the correct inbox folder?

You can try this method to locate the path in the registry - How to open a registry file from a crashed computer @Poremsky.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
L Format Lost between Tasks and To Do Using Outlook 0
Horsepower Lost emails Using Outlook 4
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
Witzker Customized Ribbon lost every now and then Using Outlook 3
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i All of a sudden I lost connection to Gmail servers Using Outlook 8
D Lost Access to Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Help .. got lost ... installing Office like 2016 Using Outlook 5
M Transfer To New Computer - Lost Some Outlook Functionality Using Outlook 0
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
K Lost Rules. Assistant accesses my mailbox. Disappeared Using Outlook 0
E 365 Outlook changed from POP3 to IMAP,all contacts lost Using Outlook 3
T Lost access to remote BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
DAVID A moved the Outlook CST file - All subfolders lost Using Outlook 2
J Contacts 2016 Web page address content lost after updates Using Outlook 2
R Lost PST files after format Using Outlook 6
E How to find or recover Lost e-mails within a folder under Inbox? Using Outlook 2
fitzgerald Lost PST files after format - how to recover deleted files? Using Outlook 3
L Recurring Tasks lost Using Outlook 3
R Lost Outlook 2013 Contacts for Gmail Account (OST files) Using Outlook 1
Nick Truscott Lost custom forms after moving mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H Lost Custom Forms when we replaced Exchange Server Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O Lost Emails after I connected my outlook.com to Office Outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
J Lost email categories when migrating from Office 2010 to Office 2013 Using Outlook 3
M Lost calendar entries Using Outlook 11
K Lost Contacts Using Outlook 3
G Content Lost From Draft, Returns Upon Refocus? Using Outlook 0
J Lost contacts.pst afer sync with iCloud: where has contact.pst disapperaed to? Using Outlook 3
E lost contacts on emptying outbox? Using Outlook 5
C Newb Q: Outlook 2013 Lost Contacts (this computer only) Using Outlook 4
V Lost calendar view, items still in list view Using Outlook 2
M connection to the microsoft exchange server has been lost. outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
C Lost calendar and contacts to icloud: Help! Using Outlook 1
L Excel table format lost in Outlook Using Outlook 6
B Lost entire Contact Folder in Outlook 2013 - Cloud-based. Using Outlook 1
F lost 95% of contacts Using Outlook 2
N Lost archived emails Using Outlook 3
R Lost Outlook 2007 message found in OWA Using Outlook 4
D Lost Inbox messages Using Outlook 2
N Changed the "sender" account and lost all my text Using Outlook 2
J Outlook replacement options - contact journal activities lost Using Outlook 23
I I've lost my Notes upgrading to Windows 7 Exchange Server Administration 3
G Manually created Sent Items folder is lost Using Outlook 4
D outlook 2010 table format lost on send Using Outlook 1
O Lost attachment found but hidden in msg! Help!! Using Outlook 1
P Help - lost .pst Using Outlook 2
W Lost Folder Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 11 lost all stored emails. Help!! Using Outlook 1