Status
Not open for further replies.

jm8540

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hello -

Wanted to sync all folders using Outlook 2013 on 2 laptops, so changed from POP3 to IMAP.

* Purchased a 10-inbox IMAP package from ISP

* Changed the email account settings from POP3 plan to new IMAP plan on ISPs website

* waited 'til changes activated

* In Outlook 2013 on first laptop, deleted the POP3 account and created the IMAP account

* IMAP account on first laptop seems installed and running properly (just started testing)

* Ditto for second laptop

* Laptops seem to sync properly - inbox, sent items, etc.

* Original PST Data Files still show in each machine, and now the old POP3 accounts appear in Outlook as well

Tried to delete the old POP3 accounts that have reappeared, but that menu item is greyed-out.

Tried to change the default data file from the original PST to the new OST, but cannot deselect PST.

Goal is to keep the seemingly good IMAP accounts on each machine, clean out the old POP3 and data files, and

then import the data from exported PSTs to have all messages.

Any help appreciated,

John

Re: Outlook 2013 - changed an account from POP3 to IMAP, POP3 'Phantom' appear

You're saying you deleted the POP accounts from File, Account Settings, Email tab and they came back?

You should be able to remove the POP accounts from the Email tab, but if the pst is set as the default on the Data Files tab, you'll need to leave it in or set the imap data file as default and move the calendar and contacts to it. (not recommended, its too easy to lose them since they do not sync to the server but if you routinely export them to a backup file, it will be fine.)

You're saying you deleted the POP accounts from File, Account Settings, Email tab and they came back?

You should be able to remove the POP accounts from the Email tab, but if the pst is set as the default on the Data Files tab, you'll need to leave it in or set the imap data file as default and move the calendar and contacts to it. (not recommended, its too easy to lose them since they do not sync to the server but if you routinely export them to a backup file, it will be fine.)

Yes, after setting up the account online by switching plans from the POP3 plan to the IMAP plan, I opened Outlook 2013 and went to the Email tab in Account Settings and deleted the POP3 account. I don't mind leaving the PST as default, but don't know what happened to bring the POP3 account back to the Folders listing:

POP3_AcctName @ someplace.com - small triangle on the left, opens with inbox, sent items, other folders

** just below it **

IMAP_AcctName @ someplace.com - also opens with inbox, sent items, etc.

I'll try again to remove the old POP3 account(s), but is there another method to clean all this up?

Sincerely appreciate your help and your time,

John

Diane Poremsky - thanks for your reply. I did delete the POP3 account from ...Account Settings --> Email tab. The account came back to the Outlook 2013 Folders List, in such a way that there are two email accounts with the same name, one above the other, each with the little triangle on the left that expands to show inbox, sent items, etc. Dont' mind keeping the PST data file as default, but don't understand why the POP3 email is listed in the Folders list. The IMAP accounts on each laptop appear to be working correctly, syncing all folders. Is there a conflict having two email accounts with the same name? Don't have the machines in front of me or I would send a screen shot.

Thanks again,

John

Ok. What you see is not the account but the data file used by the now-removed pop account. You can rename it if you want but it won't cause any conflicts - the actual data file names are different, this is just a display name.

To rename, right click on the name of the old pop3 pst and choose Properties. Click the Advanced button and enter a new name for the pst.

I really appreciate your help. Just to be clear, the duplication is not in the Account Settings > Data Files tab, it is in the Folders listing where Outlook keeps the various accounts with inbox, sent items, etc. Example:

screenshot.jpg

This is not the actual computer in question, but is what the Folders List looks like.

Thanks again,

John

So there isn't the old data file and the new one? That means you have a ghost pst. It's usually easier to make a new profile if the pst files can't be closed by right clicking on the pst name and choosing close.

Sorry to be unclear - yes, there is the old PST data file, it is the default data file on each laptop. I will work on these 2 laptops Sunday and follow the steps from your posts. If I am able to rename the old PST will the unwanted email account listing clear up?

Thanks,

John

Many thanks! Appreciate your help and knowledge.\

John

Hello again -

Sorry to take so long to follow up, please let me know if the following is where I have to leave things or if there is something more I can do.

I tried to rename the PST from within Outlook 2013 , but evidently since it is the default (and only) PST file I could not rename it. I did rename the disk file itself, twice, and each time I renamed the file an account with that new name appeared in the Outlook 2013 folders listing. That item cannot be closed (menu item for close is greyed out) either. I have moved the item to the bottom of the folders listing, but would like to remove it altogether. Thanks again for your time.

John

Are you renaming the old POP3 pst? You can rename the data file display name (as seen in the folder list), but you can't rename the IMAP data file in Windows Explorer. If you aren't showing the extensions, show them (View tab in Windows Explorer in Windows 8) - this way you can be sure which file you are working with. In Outlook 2013, IMAP accounts use an ost file extension.

Using this screenshot as an example, the left side (1) can be renamed. The files in windows explorer (right side, (2)) can't be renamed as they are ost files. (The MSN account display name was changed, I'm too lazy to change the rest. :))

rename-file.png

More information on renaming and screenshots: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/rename-email-accounts-data-files-folder-list/

Are you renaming the old POP3 pst? You can rename the data file display name (as seen in the folder list), but you can't rename the IMAP data file in Windows Explorer. If you aren't showing the extensions, show them (View tab in Windows Explorer in Windows 8) - this way you can be sure which file you are working with. In Outlook 2013, IMAP accounts use an ost file extension. ..."

Here's a synopsis, sorry that I'm not explaining this very well -

Purchased 10 IMAP accounts package through Service Provider
Switched the account in question from POP3 to IMAP using Service Provider's web-based control panel

Deleted the account in Outlook 2013 by right-clicking and selecting delete
Added the IMAP account to Outlook 2013
[did the above 2 steps twice, once in each computer]

The PST file is the only PST in each machine. It was still named using the now-deleted account name.

Tried to remove the account name that matched the PST file, but could not. Ditto for the PST file itself.

With Outlook closed, renamed the PST file - the old account takes the new name but still exists.

Can this all be cleaned up?

Thanks again for your help,
John

Ok... you have Outlook 2013, so you could use just one imap data file (now ost extension, not pst) and set it as the default data file. This file can't be renamed or reused in a profile.

In older versions and the recommended way in 2013, you have to have a pst for calendar and contacts and it had to be set as default. You couldn't remove it. My best guess is that it is still set as default. In the Data files tab, like in my screenshot, which file is checked to use as default? If the pst you are trying to remove is default, set your default imap account's data file as default.

Diane Poremsky - thanks for taking your valuable time to help on this one. I'll make an OST file the default.

Final Question: can I import the items from the PST file?
Sincere regards,
John

Yes, you can import from the pst to the IMAP ost file.

Status
Not open for further replies.