Contacts 2016 Web page address content lost after updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm8540

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Helping a friend who recently updated to 2016 from 2013 Outlook (365) along with installing the Windows 10 'Anniversary' update. His business contacts records are now all missing the 'Web page address' field content, possibly other information. Can this data be retrieved? He has recent backups, but evidently they were made after the data was lost. He has outlook.com email, with Exchange ActiveSync.

All help appreciated, thanks.
John

Helping a friend who recently updated to 2016 from 2013 Outlook (365) along with installing the Windows 10 'Anniversary' update. His business contacts records are now all missing the 'Web page address' field content, possibly other information. Can this data be retrieved? He has recent backups, but evidently they were made after the data was lost. He has outlook.com email, with Exchange ActiveSync.

All help appreciated, thanks.
John

John:
Did you or anyone else get this figured out?
Same thing happened to me recently - I lost +90% (not all) of my contact web page addresses which I have had matured for years.
Significant things on my end that may have contributed:
1. Outlook Settings: I disabled resolving what look like email and web addresses to hyperlinks. Reason: I use the Notes field a lot and include email addresses and web page addresses. To every email address, Outlook.com(?) was adding the text string <mail to: and repeating the email address>, sometimes repeating it several times. Then getting anywhere near these links with the cursor and the expected happens. Not to mention any time an @ sign was used in typing Outlook thought I was trying to send an email and would open a new message window. So after fighting it for years I disabled it.
2. I receive auto-updates to Windows 10 and Office apps, and am also in the Insider program Skip-Ahead. Not sure why this would matter.
3. 6 months ago I got a LG V30 Android phone as WP is no more. What a step backwards that was and that is why it took me so long to switch. One royal PITA just to get the Transit app; I think I will go back to driving and use a flip phone.

Hoping somebody out there can explain this. What is disconcerting is if the web page addresses were deleted, what else was?
Thanks,

Pat

#1 - this is a common problem when you sync with devices. They sync the body as plain text, which breaks the mailto's into the display name and underlying hyperlink... outlook see the two addresses and hyperlinks it... and the cycle repeats. Disabling autoconversion is probably the best option.

#2 - I don't think it matters. There are occasionally bugs in Windows insiders builds that affect outlook and bugs in the office insider builds, but that is not the cause of the problems here.

#3 - yeah, I'm not impressed with the android devices. When I had to give up my HTC 8X, I went to the dark side and got an iPhone. My kids have them and I wanted to use facetime. No regrets. (I had an ipad and android tablet prior to getting the iPhone - had to know how each worked to help customers.)

There was an issue with web addresses with outlook.com - they used a different field name than the desktop version. To see if that is the cause, open a contact and click All Fields then Select from All Contact fields. Do you see the missing web address?

2018-07-09_23-54-50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2016 sync contacts directly between phone and computer using outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
C Import Outlook 2016 contacts into to: field Using Outlook 1
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 10
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 0
Cdub27 Move Outlook 2016 Contacts to Other Folders - Extremely Slow !! Using Outlook 6
O :Managing contacts in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
P Current View Pane for Contacts missing from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
O Contacts folders, outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2016 doesn't show contacts in address book Using Outlook 2
GregS No contacts sync from Outlook 2016 to Windows Phone Using Outlook 0
T Uploading Outlook 2016 Contacts to Exchange Server Drops "Company" field data in 30% of records Exchange Server Administration 4
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
R How to force Outlook to use plain text in notes for Contacts? Using Outlook 1
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
L Favorites for People/Contacts? Using Outlook 1
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Horsepower Contacts added from iPhone don't show up in Outlook Using Outlook 2
B oContacts.Items.Restrict Misses Some Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
V Contacts in O365 have changed?? Using Outlook 20
T Outlook 2010 BCM Migration to Standard Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
D Is a sub folder under contacts necessary to be able to name an Address Book? Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
L icloud contacts sync Using Outlook 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2016 Creating a shared local Contacts folder Using Outlook 2