Not displaying newest messages in Inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Outlook 2016 is receiving new messages, more or less - they are shown as a pop up bubble in the lower right for a few seconds when they arrive, and the bold number next to the word Inbox increments up with each new message. But the new messages are not shown in the Inbox, no way to read them.

I tried a Quick Repair from Control Panel, did not help.

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks

I see that it does display some emails. If I sent from hotmail, it does display in the inbox. If I send from a godaddy account, it does not display, although a popup in the lower right shows it as received. If I click on the popup, I can see the email and open it. Once it is open, I tried clicking Move>Inbox, it seems like it does it, but I still can't see it in Inbox.

Thanks for the info.

I some of the missing emails are in the Trash folder, but not all. The number next to Inbox increments upward, indicating they are coming in to the Inbox. Searching inbox does not find them, even ones that I sent myself that I know are in there because they show up in the pop up in the lower right corner. I am reinstalling the account now.

By the way, it is IMAP and I decided to separate out the calendar like you've suggested into a .pst file. But in Outlook 2016 I can't seem to move the calendar entries like you've suggested in the past. I go into LIst View, and select them all, then click Move. But it opens an email with the calendar events as attachment. I just cancelled and exported/imported them to get it to get them in a new pst file.

Any ideas why this was happening?

Thanks

I did reset the view as the first thing per your suggestion, it did not help. Thanks

But it opens an email with the calendar events as attachment. I just cancelled and exported/imported them to get it to get them in a new pst file
That happens if one or more of the items are meetings. If you move each meeting separately and the appointments as one, it will work.

After I reinstalled the account last week, the problem was gone, until it came back today, it was again not displaying some, but not all, newly received messages, even though they showed up in the popup bubble in the lower right.
I finally found the solution, I believe.

View>Change View>Hide Messages Marked for Deletion was selected, I changed it back to IMAP, and now the problem is gone.
Odd that it would have this effect, and also odd that resetting the view like you originally suggested did not fix it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hide marked for deletion is the default view if i recall correctly.

Have you tried changing how outlook handles deleted imap items? Go to file, account settings, double click on the account then go to more settings, advanced. Try unchecking mark items for deletion but do not move (the behavior in old versions).

OK I will check that.

One question: when I first looked at Outlook yesterday, I noticed that in the lower left status bar it said "Filter Applied". But I could not find any filters when I looked, only that "Hide Marked for Deletion". and when I changed it to IMAP the filter message went away.
Does this seem odd to you?

Thanks

Last edited:
That is perfectly normal - Hide messages marked for deletion is a filtered view (the filter hides messages...) the plain IMAP view has no filter, so you see the messages marked for deletion.

edited: link on wrong thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Displaying Date Value In Formula Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J ol2021 custom form not displaying pics Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 37
L Images not displaying in emails sent to self Using Outlook 2
J custom form not displaying pictures Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
HappyDaddy007 "Size" on field chooser/column displaying incorrect value Using Outlook 3
L Email with correct To address but displaying name of a related person Using Outlook 0
C Changed By field not displaying individual user's name in O365 Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 9
Y Outlook not displaying all imap emails Using Outlook 5
N Signature displaying incorrectly in email Using Outlook 1
S Show Total Number Of Items Not Displaying Using Outlook 9
J Subject Field is displaying Name and company Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Contacts list not displaying Using Outlook 10
C Unread email count not displaying on Inbox sub-folders Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Displaying a Picture on a Contact Using Outlook 0
N Outlook Forms Not Displaying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
K Outlook 2010 form is displaying old form layout Using Outlook 3
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
S Custom Outlook Form 2013 Displaying fields incorrectly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Displaying Shortcuts in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
N Grid Lines Not Displaying - Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
Sarge USMC Outlook 13 not displaying POP inbound emails Using Outlook 12
W Outlook 2010 - Displaying Private Appointments In Shared Calendars Using Outlook 1
G Outlook Intermittent Issue with Drafts not Displaying Entire Content Using Outlook 4
M View in browser stopped displaying .GIFs in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T To: and Cc: not displaying when forwarding/replying to .eml files Using Outlook 4
E BCM Contacts & Accounts not displaying correctly BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Displaying the Remind Beforehand Value in Calendar List View Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Marketing and Project Management field are not displaying BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Outlook 2007 not displaying embedded images in emails Using Outlook 1
S Holidays after 2012 & NOT displaying location Using Outlook 8
J Remove location field from displaying Using Outlook 8
O Exchange 2003 displaying HTML emails as having attachments Exchange Server Administration 7
B Sent Items Not Displaying in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2007-Tasks not displaying in calendar Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007: Shared Tasks not displaying on my To-Do Bar Using Outlook 8
G Displaying value of task subject field as values from two custom fields Using Outlook 4
K Outlook 32-bit Connector and Outlook not displaying the folders Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
T VSTO Outlook add-in: Categories not displaying correctly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
I Displaying my Online/Offline Status BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Displaying a field from the field chooser programmatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Displaying custom properties of a PDF DocumentItem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Deleted items not displaying in outlook Using Outlook 2
S Olk2003 displaying an error message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J Suppliers in Accounting 2009 not displaying in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
K Sent Items not holding Newest on Top Using Outlook 3
judy1117 Defaul open to newest email in inbox Using Outlook 1
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
mrrobski68 Issue with Find messages in a conversation macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1