Reminders and Due Dates in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm using Outlook 2010. Does anyone know of an article that explains the Reminders? For example, there is a Due Date, Start Date, and Reminder Field. There is also a Due By field (which is affected by the follow up but I don't think directly). I'm just trying to get an idea of what fields to use.

I was using the Due By field in 2003, however, it seems in 2010 data I entered into my custom contact form in the Due By field is no longer displayed. My understanding is the Due By field I believe is used with appointments.

Basically what I do is I have contacts and note a date/time for me to contact them. I set a Reminder time and don't use the Start or End date fields. I kind of use it as a tickler system to pop up and tell me for example call this contact.

I also created custom views such as due today and due this week using the advanced filters. One limit I found is there is no operator of "before" associated with "Reminder Time". I want a view for example that shows me all the items that are due before today and change it to red (using conditional formatting). However, I can only see "on or before" operator. Is the a "before" operator?

I also noticed if I try to type in a reminder date prior to today's date, it is not saved. The data disappears. Reason I do this is if I want to add a contact to a group of other items past due that I need to work on. However, if I have a reminder that is already set and the day comes and goes, the date does not disappear.

Even though I don't use the start and end dates, I did note changing these dates sometimes do change the reminder date but changing the reminder date does not change either of these dates.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how this works (hence asking for any documentation to read) and maybe if there is a better option in using the software.

Thanks

Shawn

I'm not aware of any documentation that covers the reminders indepth. Maybe Slipstick will publish something. :)

Due Date: The date a task is supposed to be finished.

Start Date: The date you are supposed to start a task

Reminder: When you want to be reminded of something. You can set a default reminder time and change it on individual items.

Due By: This is an appointment field, used with meeting requests but i'm not sure how the date gets set.

There is not before option - use on or before and move the date a day ahead if you don't want to include the current date.

Outlook 2010 blocks the ability to set past due reminders, to avoid reminders that come up as soon as you set the flag.

The reminder is not set to a specific period before the start or due date - it will be set based on your default reminder settings but you can change it to any date you want - there might be times when you want a reminder 3 or 5 days in advance.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

I understand the reason for not allowing reminders to be set in the past. I just need to change my work flow.

Any idea why there is not a "before" option. Was it just missed?

Shawn

I have an additional question on Reminders.

I added the Reminder Time field and Reminder field into my custom form. I added data into the Reminder Time and/or Reminder field in the form fields that I added. I then clicked on the "Add Reminder" feature. I don't see the data I entered into the form field. Is this by design?

However, when I add the data in the "Add Reminder" feature, I do see the data in the fields in the Reminder Time field and Reminder field in my custom form.

I have an additional question on Reminders.

I added the Reminder Time field and Reminder field into my custom form. I added data into the Reminder Time and/or Reminder field in the form fields that I added. I then clicked on the "Add Reminder" feature. I don't see the data I entered into the form field. Is this by design?

However, when I add the data in the "Add Reminder" feature, I do see the data in the fields in the Reminder Time field and Reminder field in my custom form.

I'll have to test this and make sure I'm thinking of the correct fields but i think the behavior is expected

For before, change the date - if you want before june 15, look for on or before june 14​

Status
Not open for further replies.