Outlook 2013 .pst Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGWright

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I did search, but could find an answer . . .

I'm using:

Office 2013

Office 365

Outlook.com/Android

Windows Live Mail 2012

I've got 6 Outlook.com email address'.

My question is, would it be best to have one .pst for all 6 emails,

or 6 .psts - one per email.

Also, I have my drive partitioned in 2, C: for Programs, D: for files.

I wanted to save the .pst(s) to the D: drive for easy backup.

How would I do this?

My appreciated for the help,

Ian

It's up to you when you use POP3 - some people like one folder for everything, others like messages compartmentalized. If some are business and some personal, you might want some mixed, some not.

If you are using EAS, you won't have a choice, you need separate data files for all EAS, IMAP, and Exchange accounts.

EAS pst files are stored in %localappdata%\Microsoft\outlook and can't be moved. They don't need to be backed up because they are just a copy of what is online.

POP3 pst files default to My Documents Outlook files and should be backed up.

Oh, I forgot about the ForceOSTPath key... it will use a different path for EAS data files, if you set the key before creating the profile - see http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/moving-outlook-ost-file/ for instructions.

I recommend only using it if you have small boot drive and need to move it to a bigger drive.

But, restoring it from backup won't work - it only works with the profile that created it and outlook detects if the data file is old and refreshes it.

So I'm on the verge of moving back to Outlook 2010.

I could use a little more control over formatting in the calendar,
and I need to be able to move email freely between email address'.

I have 2010 set up on my Desktop, which is my second computer.
I'm using Outlook Connector with MAPI.

I've added two of my six email address' just as a test.

I like the idea of having a separate data file for each email address,
is this possible with this set up?

Thank-you,

Ian

This: I'm using Outlook Connector with MAPI.
Translates into "I'm using EAS in Outlook 2013"

and that means this: and I need to be able to move email freely between email address'.
is not going to work well in Outlook 2013 since you can't move mail into EAS accounts. If you set up outlook.com accounts using IMAP, it will work - but you won't have calendar and contacts for the imap account. (Unless you add it to the profile as an EAS account too.)

I like the idea of having a separate data file for each email address,
is this possible with this set up?

Yes, this is possible in Outlook 2013 or 2010.

I could use a little more control over formatting in the calendar,
In what way?

Hi Diane,

Thank-you for getting back to me.
Your input is always appreciated.

For my appointments in the calendar, I like to be able to change the font and sometimes add background pictures.
This doesn't seem to be available in Outlook 2013, but does seem to be available with 2010.

Correct, at least to a point. Outlook 2010 uses the Outlook Connector (and deltasync, which was designed for the Live Mail client) and you can use formatting in the messages - i don't think the formatting and pictures syncs up to outlook.com though. Outlook 2013 uses Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) and doesn't allow formatting, because it knows outlook.com can't support formatting and would display html code instead. Part of the reason that EAS doesn't do formatting is because it goes back to the early days of cellular phones and costly data -plain text is faster and cheaper to transmit.

Thank-you for the Reply.
It's odd to be moving back to 2010,
but I'm glad I hung onto my copy.

I will be syncing to my Android,
so there's a possibility that I'll lose the formatting when I do.
One day at a time.

Ian

I've got 2 email address' and 2 PSTs in my test version of Outlook 2010.
Am I able to associate each email address with a specific PST,
and if so, how would I do that?

Right now both PSTs are the exact same size,
which makes me feel that they probably both contain the exact same information.

Thank-you in advance for the help.

Ian

If the accounts are POP3, you can assign them to different pst files - open File, Account Settings and select the account then click Change Folder at the bottom of the screen and select a new folder.

So I've made the move to 2010, and this is a much better fit for me.
I'm using MAPI with the Connector.
It's not as fast as 2013, but I'm able to move email radically between accounts,
which is essential for how I do things.

I've setup quite a few rules on a desktop that I leave running 24/7,
and the rules are working very well.

Thank-you for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.