Outlook 2013 has been a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Upgrading to Outlook 2013 has been a disaster. I've resolved some of the issues, but two remain.

1) When I enter a person's name in the To field and click "Check Names" to add the email address, the email message will bounce. If I cut and then paste the expanded name and email address in the To field, the message will send fine. So, the email address is correct, but it fails to send unless I cut and then paste it back.

2) Starting yesterday Outlook 2013 fails to sync several of the IMAP accounts. It will freeze within three to eight minutes after startup. Now, in order to use OL13, I must start it, check my mail, and then close it. If I try and compose a message for more than five minutes, there is a good chance I will have to kill OL and then start all over.

I have done Windows update and used both the quick and extended repair. I have stopped all addins and started in /safe mode. None of these seem to work. Any suggestions? Is there a consulting service that can help resolve these issues?

On a related topic, I had .pst files when I was using OL07. Now, I have one .pst file and several .ost files, one for each IMAP account. Why were the .pst files converted to .ost files? Is this relate to either of the problems mentioned above?

Best,

Christopher

The ost files are not the cause - Outlook 2013 uses ost files for all accounts that sync with servers.

1. Have you reset the autocomplete list? File, Options, Mail - about halfway down for Empty Autocomplete.

2. Were any outlook updates installed yesterday? In Add / Remove program, click View updates link.

What antivirus do you use? What addins?

The ost files are not the cause - Outlook 2013 uses ost files for all accounts that sync with servers.

Thanks, good to know.

1. Have you reset the autocomplete list? File, Options, Mail - about halfway down for Empty Autocomplete.

Autocomplete was unchecked. I clicked Empty Autocomplete. Will see if that resolves the first problem.

2. Were any outlook updates installed yesterday? In Add / Remove program, click View updates link.

It appears the last update was 9/16/2013.

What antivirus do you use? What addins?

Norton Antivirus. I disabled antivirus and firewall protect for 15 minutes and that did not help. All addins have been disabled.

Best,

Christopher

Who are the accounts with?

When was the last Windows update installed? Have you rebooted?

Hi Diane, thanks for the quick responses!!! I made some significant progress based on your suggestions. I had rebooted the computer before, but this time I rebooted the computer, router, and modem. I don't know which if any of those made the difference, but the hangs appear to have stopped.

One Sent folder still has some email that I had moved to another folder. The email headers have lines through them indicating they will be removed from the IMAP server. However, after multiple syncs, they are still there, and attempts to delete them do not work either. Any suggestions on how to remove these deleted email messages?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best,

Christopher

I spoke too soon. OL13 is freezing up again. It just takes longer now. Instead of freezing in several minutes after starting, it can take thirty minute or longer, but it still freezes.

It could be a problem with the hostmonster servers. Are they the only ones not purging the deleted mail? (Purging has been a problem off and on with Gmail, but it seems to be fixed as of earlier this summer.)

Turn on logging and run a send and receive - let outlook run until it crashes then turn off logging. You can open the log in notepad - see if it closes the connection to the account. Instructions are at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862843/en-us - you want to look at the imap and smtp logs.

If you set outlook offline, does it crash?

It could be a problem with the hostmonster servers.

I think you are right. I recently upgraded from a basic account to a VPS account. After reviewing all the settings in OL with tech support, we changed one parameter in Web Host Manager on the server. The maximum number of IMAP connections per IP was increased from 20 to 40. Now, the Sent folder is purged correctly. Fingers crossed, this issue is now resolved. Thanks again for your assistance!

Best,

Christopher

Status
Not open for further replies.