Outlook.com and Comcast.net profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Anderson

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I am using Outlook 2013 as my desktop email client. My original primary profile is Comcast.net (POP3). I have added a profile for my Outlook.com (EAS) account in order to receive emails on my Windows phone. Because POP3 and EAS are incompatible, I am unable to copy/move folders and emails from the Comcast profile to the Outlook profile. So it appears to be impossible to migrate from Comcast to Outlook.com. I have set my Comcast account to forward emails to Outlook.com, which seems to work, but I also get the emails in the Comcast profile. I would like to get rid of the duplication. Also, on my Windows phone, I'm getting two copies of every email. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Does Comcast support imap? That would make everything work better as far as m ail on the phone.

If you want to upload mail to Outlook.com, you need to set it up as an IMAP account - http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/setting-outlookcom-imap-account/

Do you want to continue using the Comcast address to send email? If not, remove the POP account from outlook and let it forward to outlook.com. That will solve the duplicates.

Unfortunately, Comcast does not support IMAP...only POP3. Microsoft recommends using EAS for Outlook.com so that your email will sync with tablets and smartphones. I don't know if that would work for IMAP.

I have setup Comcast to forward email to Outlook.com. There is such a setting in the Comcast profile in my desktop Outlook client and also in Comcast.net online. With both set to forward email, I get duplicate emails on my Windows phone. When I remove one of the forwarding settings, then I don't get proper forwarding to my desktop Outlook.com profile. I don't know why this should be so difficult. Thanks for your help, Diane.

You need to request imap access - https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap

if you are forwarding all mail to outlook.com, then you want to remove the comcast account from outlook and the phone, but when you do that, you can only reply using the outlook.com address.

I successfully created a Comcast IMAP profile on my Outlook desktop client using the link you provided. Then I tried to setup an Outlook.com IMAP profile. But after entering all of the correct values, when I clicked Next to do the test, it kept prompting me for my outlook.com password, which was correct. See attached screen shots of errors. This was totally unexpected.

Attachments

• Outlook IMAP Error.JPG
    Outlook IMAP Error.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 647
  • Outlook IMAP Error2.JPG
    Outlook IMAP Error2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 674
No, that's what puzzled me. I'm not using Outlook.com's two step verification...I never set it up. But the error sure looks like that's the problem. It seems that the hurdles never stop coming!

I'm still struggling to setup an Outlook.com IMAP profile on my Outlook 365 client. I can't get past the pop up password message (see above) that comes up repeatedly when it tries to verify my settings, which I have double checked to determine they are correct. On the same client, I have an Outlook.com EAS, Comcast POP, and Comcast IMAP profile. My objective is to copy all of my email folders and contents from the Comcast IMAP account to the Outlook.com IMAP account and then remove the others. Then I hope that I can setup an Outlook.com IMAP account on my Windows 8 phone that will sync with the Outlook.com IMAP profile. I'm not sure if I have to make any changes to the web Outlook.com settings to make this happen. As I said above, I am not using two-step verification. Still hopeful there's a way to do this.

Those are the exact server names and settings I used. I don't know why email setup should be so complicated. Thank you for your expertise. If you can think of anything that might be preventing this profile from being setup, please let me know.

I was finally able to setup an Outlook.com IMAP profile on my Outlook 365 client. I'm not sure what I changed to make it work, but I think it was due to changing the username from myname to myname.outlook.com.

myname.outlook.com

Did you enter it like that or with the @ sign? :) You do need to use the full address, not just the alias.

Yes, I used the @ sign, not the dot as in my previous reply. Just a senior moment.

At this point I am so confused with the email setup that I'm about ready to start over. The Outlook IMAP profile synchronizes with Outlook.com and my Windows phone IMAP account. But when I delete emails on my phone it also deletes them from my Inbox in the Outlook IMAP desktop profile but does not move them to deleted items. So I'm losing valuable emails on my Outlook client. This is apparently the synchronization process that occurs with IMAP. But I don't want one platform to delete items on another. Maybe synchronization is not what I want. Plus I'm getting duplicate emails in my Outlook IMAP profile. There are so many settings that affect the functioning and coordination of multiple email profiles.

Do you have a recommended environment or setup process for someone who is migrating from Comcast.net to Microsoft Outlook? Should my target environment be POP, EAS, or IMAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.