Outlook.com migrating to Office365, contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

astro46

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
If this is in the wrong forum, sorry, I didn't see a better one. Go ahead and move it if appropriate.

I just read the latest Exchange newsletter about MS migrating all Outlook.com account to Office365 and being configured as Exchange accounts. The newsletter mentioned contacts syncing between devices and that all outstanding problems have been resolved. I'd like to ask specifically about a few that have kept me from using Contacts at Outlook.com:
1. Categories didn't transfer, and I would have had to create "groups" and reassign all contacts online.. Afterwards, new contact assignments to "groups" from my computer was known to be unreliable. It had to be done online.
2. Fields didn't map reliably. Fields on computer were different from online, and different from Windows Phone 8.1. Fields in one place didn't exist in another. Not talking about custom fields, just standard Ol13 fields.
3. Email groups were not recognized by Outlook.com
4. contacts did not indicate what groups they belonged to, as contacts do with categories in OL13.

Those items were as far as I got before deciding not to use Outlook.com for contacts. Could be others but I didn't use it long enough to find out. I am currently syncing contacts manually between devices because I didn't like the reduced functionality of Outlook.com.
Does the new system eliminate these issues?

1. Fixed. The contact lists created in outlook.com sync down as contact groups, not as categories. The categories sync to the server and to other outlook's but don't show online.
2. I didn't check, but it should be fixed. Any problem would be due to fields not matching with the phone (an android problem:)) as it's exchange on the backend now.
3. You mean contact groups or something else? Contact groups sync now and can be used to send email.
4. Categories are not visible in Outlook.com

This a screenshot of my mailbox - AAA Test is a contact group. When i set up , named so it would be at the top, i had the Test group selected. Ooops. I didn't do a test send, but Exchange supports nested groups so it should work. The list (outlook.com calls it lists, not groups) can be created from either the New button or the Lists button. The new button uses the Office 365 method - a form opens, you type names, they come up in autocomplete and you click to add to the list.

contact-lists.png

Thank you, Diane. I will try dragging a few contacts (or whatever I need to do to get them to Outlook.com) and a contact group ("contact" in OL13 that holds a list of email addresses, so that I can send to the whole group in one email) and try it out.

btw: the field mapping issue had to do with my Windows Phone 8.1 (not Android) and the people hub. Some phone numbers wouldn't sync because the fields didn't exist on the People Hub.
eg: I put a 2nd mobile number in "Other" on OL13, because there is no "Mobile 2". the People Hub, does not have "other" field, but does have "mobile2". And no notes field in People Hub.

Perhaps Windows Phone 10 will be more complete.

Last edited:
The people hub is history or soon will be.

On the field sync: create a fake contact on the phone and fill in all fields. Use those fields to figure out which ones work in all applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2016 and Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3
C Outlook FROM ADDRESS -Outlook.com and Android Using Outlook 1
Z Outlook.com OST Stopped working without explanation Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Reminder duplication Outlook and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
D Outlook.com premium finally dying... what do I do with my domain? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
T upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook Using Outlook 2
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
T How do I upgrade from outlook.com to Outlook? Using Outlook 5
T Many problems with outlook.com - will upgrade to Outlook soon Using Outlook 1
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
dbjdbj Is it only me having a fun time with Outlook.com "beta" ? Using Outlook 3
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
I New Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
K Outlook.com is not showing, or finding via search, all my Contacts (People) Using Outlook 0
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
D Sharing outlook.com calendars in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
T outlook.com opens with "item not found" Using Outlook 1
M Can't send email in outlook.com Using Outlook 9
T BitDefender reporting outlook.com as 'insecure' Using Outlook 6
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
C Syncing on outlook.com Using Outlook 4
S Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
S Outlook.com cannot edit some contacts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
B Outlook.com People Limits Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 11
Rupert Dragwater How to create a new email with @outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 32
M Outlook.com autocomplete list invaded by strange items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
J Outlook 2016 message content does not display - outlook.com; exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
M Mailbox Size Outlook.com or Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1
A remove or turn off outlook.com contact folder from outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Long List Of Outlook 2016/Outlook.com Bugs // Where To Report? Using Outlook 10
M How many days are items in Recover Deleted at Outlook.com ? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
Fozzie Bear Correct Method to set up Outlook.com accounts as Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
W Cant connect to outlook.com from outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2