Outlook 2010 Renaming the account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
An outlook.com account that is now migrated to the "new servers" - by dropping the account from desktop Outlook 2010, quitting Outlook etc and establishing it again - was created with the parent folder name* displaying theperson@outlook.com
When the account was connected by MAPI I was able to rename it to something simpler (OUTLOOK) but that doesn't show in the user interface, but is allowed by Account Settings > Change.
It's a very minor annoyance, but I can't discover how to get the UI to display the account with a simpler name.
The same seems to apply to Outlook 2013 desktop (Exchange ActiveSync server for a machine with that version). Both on Windows 10 1607 systems.
* (I am lost for correct terminology)

I am thinking that this is due to an update in the desktop Outlook versions over the past several months.

It's hard the change the name in the folder list - see Rename Exchange Mailbox and Account in Outlook for a macro that can do it. changing the account name (as it is shown in the From dropdown or Account Settings list) is much easier.

I'm not sure if any of the solutions, in the article you pointed to, do address the (minor) problem that I have.

It is best illustrated with a couple of images (Outlook.com account, Microsoft Exchange server, in Outlook 2010 desktop on Windows 10).

image001.png
image002.png

It is the "parent" above Inbox that I want to change from lyne.thomas@outlook.com to OUTLOOK. In Account Settings, E-mail (the second image) above I had previously successfully changed the account Name, even after restarting Outlook and checking now 3 days later, the required change hasn't been effected.

That is the data file name - you need to use the script in this section - Rename Exchange Mailbox and Account in Outlook the VBScipt is easiest - save the text file, edit to use the correct name values then save and change the extension to vbs. Double click to run.

The one in account settings only applies to the name you see when you look at the from field while composing messages.

That is the data file name - you need to use the script in this section - Rename Exchange Mailbox and Account in Outlook the VBScipt is easiest - save the text file, edit to use the correct name values then save and change the extension to vbs. Double click to run.

The one in account settings only applies to the name you see when you look at the from field while composing messages.
Yes, that worked well with the script - I have done that for one account (not the one transitioned to Exchange, but I will do that in a few minutes).
Below, not important - just a remark:
I did try MFCMAPI out of curiosity (I backed up the Outlook part of the registry first), but it tells me that I haven't set a default email program. That's not correct, as Windows 10 Settings tells me that it is my version of desktop Outlook.
Since I have Outlook 2013 installed, and tried MFCMAPI with Outlook both closed and with it opened, I'm not sure what the problem might be. This was with the email account (Outlook.com) that is not yet transitioned, ie uses Exchange ActiveSync.
Exchange ActiveSync.JPG

it's possible you have the 32bit mfcmapi - if you have 64bit outlook, you need 64bit mfcmapi.

You're right. I have just run it and it logs on as described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Renaming Address Book Using Outlook 3
S Renaming while drag and dropping to file Using Outlook 1
T Renaming an Resource in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
R Renaming Column Heading in Contacts view Using Outlook 6
S renaming several subject lines at one time Using Outlook 1
M Renaming or moving contents of a field BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
G Renaming Personal Folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Use Macro to change account settings Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V Folder Properties - Gmail account can't switch Using Outlook 5
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
L I Cannot Sign Into My Outlook Account? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about installing my Gmail account on my iPhone but still getting messages downloaded to my desktop Outlook. Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
A How Do I Setup My Optonline.Net Email Account? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D multiple email accounts - why do I have to choose the "from" account address?? Using Outlook 2
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
B Move emails from one account to another Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3
D Office 365 Outlook desktop app prompts for all account passwords on startup Using Outlook 11
L Recommendations for Utility to Backup Outlook 365 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
T How to configure Outlook for two users on a single Windows account Using Outlook 3
nmanikrishnan Auto-reply from default account Using Outlook 1
Commodore Any way to create "from-only" account on Outlook 2021? Using Outlook 1
A Imap account not auto syncing inbox at startup Using Outlook 0
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
R Sent emails show iCloud mail account not the alias Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
F Excel VBA to move mails for outlook 365 on secondary mail account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
D Change Microsoft Account password - what to do to update on all devices Using Outlook 4
D Microsoft Exchange account - Remote management Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
G Outlook 365 with iCloud account not syncing calendars Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 how to use gmail account as source account for outlook 365 Using Outlook 9
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
E Conditional formatting - when current account <> received account ? Using Outlook 3
M Microsoft 365 Outlook keeps requesting password on Local Account Using Outlook 1
E Change sending account depending on Subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
Marc2019 Need help please! Cannot Setup my outlook email account on my Mac Outlook 2011 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
M Gmail is not downloading in my outlook account Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
W Account icons Outlook for Android Using Outlook 1
Marc2019 Setting up an Outlook Account on Mac Os 10.6.8 Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1