Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-SMTP-moon

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Using Outlook.com with a web browser.
Over recent months I have noticed very strange addresses appearing in the auto-complete list.
They are not my addresses at all. (not received from not sent to).
Many of them look like "junk".
Some are not valid addresses. (ex: yahoo but missing the .com).
So I try to delete them as the pop-up in the list.
But later on I see more like that again.
It is almost like my Outlook.com account is "looking in the wrong place" for my auto-complete list.

Is the Outlook.com / OWA (web) autocomplete list stored in the mailbox ?

I cannot find an option / function for -- delete all auto-complete-- or --do not use auto-complete ---.
(I know they are in Outlook desktop app.)

Do you think the Beta version of Outlook.com (web) would help fix this problem.

I have posted on Answers, but did not get a solution.

Thanks.

===

Is the Outlook.com / OWA (web) autocomplete list stored in the mailbox ?
Yes, its stored in the mailbox. It picks up people you sent mail to and also people who sent you mail. it's possible the goofy addresses were junk mail - but AFAIK, it only suggests addresses who recently sent you mail - I'm not sure how long that addresses stay in the suggestion list after the message is deleted though.

I don't think the beta version will have an effect - but you can certainly try it if you want.

Thanks for your Reply.

The hypothesis that the Junk mail is involved is certainly a possibility.
(Although I should suggest to Microsoft to not include emails in that folder...)

This mailbox had a lot of junk emails.
(Which is an entirely different story...)

I manually deleted all the Junk emails earlier today (some hours ago).
Now I still see some of the goofy ...nice term -- : -) ... addresses in auto-complete pop-up.
I have deleted some of them "again".
So I will check back in a day or so, ... to see if that affects it.

However, I will mention that many of the goofy addresses are not valid SMTP addresses.
So that is another part of the puzzle.

This is a very old Microsoft Account.
I worry that there is a "broken pointer" deep inside the Account / mailbox or something like that.
It would take a lot of work to change all the places where I use the email address for this mailbox.

I was considering this recipe ---
On the old account, set a "temporary email address",
delete the "real important" email address that I use everywhere,
create a new Microsoft Account,
add the "real important" email address as an additional address for the new account.
But I assume Microsoft will "freeze" the deleted address "for some time".
so that would not work.

Thanks for your help.

=============

But I assume Microsoft will "freeze" the deleted address "for some time".
I believe its 30 days... and then anyone can take it. But i don't think you need to take such drastic steps.

I would reset the autocomplete list and see if it gets the goofy addresses on it again.

Thanks for the info and help.

a-- Only 30 days. That is a surprise to me.
So the "new owner" of the "old/reused" email address could receive email sent from "an old friend" (or business, etc.), that had not yet changed to using my "new email address".
Would have expected the old address to be "frozen" for a year or more.

b-- I assume old @hotmail.com addresses are gone "for a long time".
Because it seems like you cannot select @hotmail.com for a new address, so I guess Microsoft is not adding/accepting any hotmail addresses "for some time into the future".

c-- In the web version of Outlook.com, I did not find a "reset autocomplete list".
I guess you are referring to the Outlook Option.
I do not currently have Outlook desktop app; but will consider that process.
However, in a work environment, my observation was that the auto-complete list used by Outlook was different from the auto-complete list used by OWA.
Therefore, not sure if doing a Reset in Outlook, will affect the list in OWA-web.

Many Thanks.

==============

So the "new owner" of the "old/reused" email address could receive email sent from "an old friend" (or business, etc.), that had not yet changed to using my "new email address".
Would have expected the old address to be "frozen" for a year or more.
Correct... rather than cancelling it, you can stop using it and set up autoreplies and forwards until everyone gets your address changed.

Microsoft is not adding/accepting any hotmail addresses "for some time into the future".
You can still create hotmail addresses but AFAIK, only in the .com domain. The country versions (hotmail.uk, hotmail.ca etc) and live.com etc are no more - they encourage users to switch to outlook.com address.
hotmail.png

c-- In the web version of Outlook.com, I did not find a "reset autocomplete list".
I guess you are referring to the Outlook Option.
Ah, yeah, i thought you had the desktop version.

Thanks for the information.
I see that hotmail.com is available in Create New Account.
I had been looking at -- Add an Alias --, and I do not see hotmail.com there.
...uploaded a screen shot.
So I assumed it was gone.
-----

Attachments

• Outlook-com-no-hotmail-b.png
    Outlook-com-no-hotmail-b.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 573
Yeah, its blocked as an additional. I'm actually surprised they allow it as a new account - they seem to be getting rid of all of the domains they used to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.