Office 365 - Outlook - Password protect your mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Up front: I am not an Office 365 user...

On Password protect your mailbox it looks (to me) as if the mailbox can be password protected(?)
Meaning that if someone were to access the laptop of somebody else (knowing the password, or pin, for that device),
then, when launching Outlook, or any Office application, it will require a password.

One might need to have a laptop serviced by a computer shop for whatever reason, hardware failure, virus,
and then have to release the laptop password. It will then feel uncomfortable to know that all data will then be freely accessible.

An Office 365 password would then serve as a 2nd layer of protection.

Is this assumption right?

Right now I don't use Office 365. My data (Office 2016 desktop) is stored within an encrypted container.

No, not really. If you use a pst file (pop accounts), you can password-protect the data file, although it is easy to break the password.

If you use Exchange mail, online mode is secure but if you use cached mode, anyone can see mail already download. Web mail would also be secure as long as you don't store the password in the browser.

Honestly, the only way to protect the mail from prying eyes is to lock the computer. If you need service and they need your password (or an admin password), there is little you can do to secure mail already downloaded, other than bitlocker and similar.

Thank you Diana!

I am using pst files. They are located within an encrypted container, that i am first opening after PC launch.
It is a bit strange that Microsoft hasn't invented something as a 2nd layer protection.
For example, something similar to password managers, requiring a master password before it can be used.

BTW, off topic, I also have various archive pst-files. They can be indexed by desktop search tools, like X1.
Say one is using 365 (.ost files), how can emails be archived, so they can be indexed similarly to when
using .pst-files?

Thanks again.

Thank you Diana!

I am using pst files. They are located within an encrypted container, that i am first opening after PC launch.
It is a bit strange that Microsoft hasn't invented something as a 2nd layer protection.
For example, something similar to password managers, requiring a master password before it can be used.

BTW, off topic, I also have various archive pst-files. They can be indexed by desktop search tools, like X1.
Say one is using 365 (.ost files), how can emails be archived, so they can be indexed similarly to when
using .pst-files?

Thanks again.

Hi. I use 365/Exchange and X1 indexes my .ost and all my archive .pst's. Did I misunderstand your question?

using .pst-files?
You dont need to archive them to use X1 - it does the mailbox (Doug can correct me if I'm wrong - I think it does the entire mailbox, even if using the sync slider to limit what gets synced.)

@ E Douglas Jensen
Thanks for commenting. The X1 thing was a bit off topic here.
The problem more or less lies in the fact that, whilst using Outlook 365, the privacy solely depends on password protecting your laptop or pc.
Meaning to say that once you have to turn in your pc or laptop for servicing/repair, whatever, and one needs to check whether things are working fine, install software, then your mail can be read. With the traditional Office 20xx one may save all data within a protected container, i.e. no pc password is required whereas your data is still 'protected'.

That's why I hinted that Office 365 should have an option for an additional password protection, of its own so to say.
Maybe, one time in future it will include this :)

-

Even the password protected pst files available for pop or archives were not very secure - you needed to enter the password when the pst was opened and it stayed open until you closed outlook. This wasn't bad for archives as you didn't need the password to open outlook, but was useless for default pst files. Locking the computer and separate user accounts is the best way to protect all of your data.

Thank you Diane.
Frankly... as my pst files are located within a password protected container, I never realized such option even existed... :)
Though it may not be very secure, I am sure it'll be okay as a first 'protection/defense'.

Status
Not open for further replies.