Outlook.com and Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianm

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 32-bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
My ISP is switching to Microsoft outsourcing of email server. So I now have an Outlook.com account.

I have been a long term user of Office Outlook, currently running Outlook 2013.

Until recently I have set up my email account as a POP account, but this doesn’t synch with mail on my iPad.

So I have setup my new Outlook.com email account under Outlook 2013 as an EAS account. This works well with folders and emails synching between iPad and PC. I even have Outlook.com rules to move messages from certain addresses directly into folders named after them before I read them.

Problem: Office Outlook had a very useful setting “When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder”. This automatically kept messages to/from a user in their named folder. This functionality doesn’t exist in Outlook.com and importantly doesn’t seem to work in Office Outlook on EAS accounts.

Does anyone know how I can implement such automatic filing when replying to a message in a users folder in Office Outlook 2013?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Diane,

Thank you for reply. Is this because Outlook.com doesn't have the functionality and therefore Outlook connecting to it as an EAS account doesn't.

Or is it a bug in Outlook 2013?

I have already suggested to Microsoft in their general suggestions area that this functionality be added to Outlook.com, but have little confidence my suggestion will be noticed let alone acted upon .

Depending on your answer:
How would you suggest I pursue this with Microsoft?

Is there any third party add-on to Outlook 2013 which provides the functionality of auto filing reply messages with the original filed messages.

Cheers

Ian

It's due to functionality in EAS - it was designed for use on smartphones and pdas and needed only basic features. When its used with full-featured clients, users expect features that are not supported. They need to rewrite EAS to enable certain missing features (like import) and when they do, this, VBA, or an After sending rule should work.

I don't know if they will ever add it to outlook.com - it's not a frequently used feature. It's more likely that EAS is fixed to support import features so that this works. I don't think a 3rd party utility will help - the problem is with moving the message programmatically - but I will double check with Auto-Mate, a rules engine. It can't do exactly this but it can move messages much like rules do.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for info. I am surprised you feel this feature (of filing sent messages in the folders I reply from) is not frequently used. To me this feature and rules are the main way I can manage the large volume of emails I process each day.

Am I right in saying I must have EAS connection to my Outlook.com account to have synching of folders between iPad and PC? I have had POP account up till now, and always have the problem that an email on one device is not on the other, and folders don't synch.

I was just getting excited at the prospect of iPad/PC synching but loss of this feature on both Outlook and Outlook.com sides is a significant downside.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Diane,

I just uninstalled Office 2013 and reinstalled 2010 with Outlook Connector. I was surprised to see that “When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder” now works in Outlook 2010 for the Outlook.com account !

Is this what you expect? Is the Outlook Connector connection different to the EAS connection in Outlook 2013, or does this indicate a bug in Outlook 2013?

This and the fact that one can't drag and drop folders from the old POP account into the new EAS account on Outlook 2103, but can using Outlook 2010, makes me wonder if Outlook 2013 is a wise upgrade.

Cheers

Ian

The Connector uses "deltasync" to talk to the outlook.com mail box - this works, but tasks don't sync. Of course, you have color categories and can move mail into the folders with the connector...

Hi Diane,

Thanks for info. I am surprised you feel this feature (of filing sent messages in the folders I reply from) is not frequently used. To me this feature and rules are the main way I can manage the large volume of emails I process each day.

Am I right in saying I must have EAS connection to my Outlook.com account to have synching of folders between iPad and PC? I have had POP account up till now, and always have the problem that an email on one device is not on the other, and folders don't synch.

I was just getting excited at the prospect of iPad/PC synching but loss of this feature on both Outlook and Outlook.com sides is a significant downside.

Cheers

Ian

You don't need eas on the outlook side - outlook 2010's outlook connector will work fine. the iPad will use EAS to sync.

Microsoft collects data on what features get used and this one doesn't get much use. Color categories don't get a lot of use either - that one shocked me.

It seems I can have the feature "“When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder” if I use Outlook 2010 with Outlook Connector, but not with Outlook 2013. Is this correct? Can I have Outlook Connector with Outlook 2013, or am I required to have EAS for synching?

If so tis a pity as I like the Outlook 2013 interface.

I have not tried the connector in Outlook 2013, but others have and said it didn't work.

Hi Dianne,

Now that Microsoft are advising that Outlook.com now supports IMAP, is there now a way to implement “When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder”?

Cheers

Ian

It works here with an imap account configured.

Ah yes, it works in Office Outlook but not in Outlook.com nor on iPad mail accessing the Outlook.com account. So it seems this offers me little over Outlook 2010 with Outlook Connector.

Yeah, it's an Outlook setting, not a server setting. Outlook Connector syncs calendar and contacts, so its the better choice, IMHO.

Hi Diane,
  1. Do any of the imminent changes to Outlook.com allow the functionality “When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder” or is this still an Outlook issue. I am using Outlook 2010/Outlook Connector.
  2. Do the changes allow the functionality on the Outlook 2013/EAS side?
Cheers
Ian

1. No, not when you use EAS as of when i checked last. It should work with IMAP. AFAIK, the recent server updates will not affect this - it's a limitation of EAS and they need to rewrite it to make it work.
2. Not sure i understand the question. If you mean do any of the recent updates make EAS work better, not really. There are some performance improvements but nothing that stands out as a big feature improvement.

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for your reply. I got excited as you implied I could get the the functionality “When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder” when using IMAP access to Outlook.com from Outlook 2013. I tried this and it worked.

However I get some strange synchronisation issues between Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com. When I delete or move folders or emails on either, the changes are not necessarily reflected on the other.
Are there known synchronisation issues between Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com? If so are there any fixes?

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.