icloud removed my contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Diane. I have a business and a personal accounts in POP and use Outlook 2010 on Win 10, 64bit.
icloud did an update or something similar today which resulted in my contacts disappearing from my contacts file and going into a cloud folder that Outlook created.
I found your repair suggestion: "If you want your contacts in Outlook's default contacts folder, you'll need to drag them to it: select all and drag or use the Move to Folder command."
I used the Move command and told it to move from the cloud to my personal contacts folder. It looked straight forward but it created a new folder called my "personal email address"/contacts.
So now I have three contacts folders. A Contacts personal (which I want) but it is empty. A Contacts icloud which previously had my contacts in it but is now empty. And a third Contacts personal folder. The properties of this show my "personal email"/contacts. Thus my contacts have been created in this new folder under a sub folder called contacts. I can see them in this third folder.
I am reluctant to make any adjustments without advice. Can you tell me how to move my contacts back to my original contacts folder please?
I should say when I click on the To in an email I cannot see my contacts and I need to do this
Thank you
Malcolm

Hi Diane. I have a business and a personal accounts in POP and use Outlook 2010 on Win 10, 64bit.
icloud did an update or something similar today which resulted in my contacts disappearing from my contacts file and going into a cloud folder that Outlook created.
I found your repair suggestion: "If you want your contacts in Outlook's default contacts folder, you'll need to drag them to it: select all and drag or use the Move to Folder command."
I used the Move command and told it to move from the cloud to my personal contacts folder. It looked straight forward but it created a new folder called my "personal email address"/contacts.
So now I have three contacts folders. A Contacts personal (which I want) but it is empty. A Contacts icloud which previously had my contacts in it but is now empty. And a third Contacts personal folder. The properties of this show my "personal email"/contacts. Thus my contacts have been created in this new folder under a sub folder called contacts. I can see them in this third folder.
I am reluctant to make any adjustments without advice. Can you tell me how to move my contacts back to my original contacts folder please?
I should say when I click on the To in an email I cannot see my contacts and I need to do this
Thank you
Malcolm
I should mention when I did the move I got an error saying "the folders you are trying to change do not support this operation. Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it". Maybe this is why Outlook created the additional contacts folder?

Malcolm

Diane why I did the Move to folder command was because I could not find any way to select all contacts. I researched it and saw this reply for someone who had the same problem;
"That's the best you can do. The option to "Select All" seems to have been left out of Outlook 2010. At least I haven't found it so they've hidden it pretty well. They like to do those things."
Is this correct or is there another option?

I don't recall if Select all is available for mouse, but you can use Ctrl+A to select all.

Much appreciated Diane. All back to normal. I moved the contacts back and deleted the folder. Thanks for your help. One final thing. I now have 6 contacts folders.
Suggested contacts 2° name
Contacts 2° name
Both these have my contacts in them so I will keep them. But I have 4 other empty folders
Suggested contacts business name
Suggested contacts business name (1)
Suggested contacts 1° name
I cloud/Suggested Contacts
Can I delete the last 4 folders without causing another hernia? I do not use separate contacts for business and private. They are all stored in the one folder.

Suggested contacts business name
Suggested contacts business name (1)
Suggested contacts 1° name
I cloud/Suggested Contacts

With 2010, you probably can't do anything g about them - right click on each and see if you can delete. I'm assuming only icloud might be able to be deleted, assuming that is the icloud addin, not a pst named icloud.

You can try disabling suggested contacts in file, options, contacts - at the bottom of the dialog - then hide suggested contacts folders - see How to Hide or Delete Outlook's Default Folders for details. Hiding is usually better because outlook will try to add missing default folders back.

If you ever upgrade, then you can delete the folders as this feature was removed from outlook 2013/2016.

I appreciate your help Diane. I understand it now after reading your link. Cloud would not delete even though it is not a pst. I am going to leave them all as they lie. They are doing no harm except for more clutter. My system is back to normal now thanks to you and I will be more vigilant if cloud offers to help again! It is a shame these software developers do not add a paragraph explaining what is going to happen rather that just saying "would you like icloud to..."
Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.