Outlook 2013 folders - don't want to synchronize with email provider's server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMolly

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I just got a new computer, and installed Outlook 2013 (last version was Outlook 2003). I have numerous folders in Outlook on my PC that store and organize my old emails. Procedure with Outlook 2003 was that I opened Outlook, which downloaded my emails from provider's server, I moved emails I wanted to save into folders, and deleted the rest. Periodically, I signed onto the email provider's server directly (not in Outlook, generally from another computer), and deleted old emails, those I did not want. I did not have any folders on the provider's server, and liked that.

I successfully moved all my old emails/folders in a pst file into Outlook 2013 on my new computer.

Now, however, Outlook has "automatically" pushed ALL of my folders and contents BACK onto the email provider's server! It has pushed back very old emails that I deleted from their server long, long ago! I don't want that! I just want the provider server to have my new email, which I will store in Outlook on my computer, and back up myself.

I read the Outlook blog article "Choose which IMAP account folders appear in Outlook" and followed directions, unsubscribing to all the folders that I had set up, but there is still a problem -- when I went back onto the provider's server to delete all the "pushed back" emails, it simultaneously deleted them in Outlook!! I want them to stay in Outlook on my PC, and only disappear from the provider's server when I delete them.

Please help. I can't figure this out -- how can I stop them from synchronizing, and delete these folders/contents only from the provider's server.

Thank you.

Re: Outlook 2013 folders - don't want to synchronize with email provider's ser

You need to set up your account as POP3, not IMAP. By default Outlook 2013 will always use IMAP when the server supports it, because it makes it easier to use with mobile devices. After the account is set up as POP3 and the old mail is in Outlook, you can delete the folders from the IMAP account.

Oh - before you remove the IMAP account from outlook, make sure the calendar and contacts folders (and any folder marked 'this computer only') is empty or does not contain items you need to keep.

Thank you. I'm confused, though, because the stated directions from the email provider say to use the following settings with Outlook 2013:

Account Type: IMAP

Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

Should I contact them about the problem? Or just change to your recommendation? Do I use POP3 for both incoming and outgoing?
Also, when I set up the account, I clicked to leave a copy on the server... might that be the problem, that it is moving them back? I checked it so that I could decide when to remove from the server. When I open Outlook now, it says "synchronizing" next to the "send/receive" notice in the little blue bar at the bottom. That is why I thought I might need to fix something related to synchronizing...

Sorry I seem so confused - I am grateful for your help. I thought the switch would be easy... and all except this has been great.

Sorry. I should have stated that my email provider is not Gmail directly, but this company has recently switched/delegated their behind-the-scenes support to Gmail.

You should still be able to use POP3 if that is what you prefer. Log into the account at gmail.com (or whatever url you use for web mail) and check settings. Enable pop3 support - instructions for pop3 are linked from that page. You'll use the same smtp that imap uses, only the incoming server will be different.

I'm not sure what setting you enabled to leaver mail on the server with imap - imap is a server-based account. You can use it with POP3 if desired, although gmail is weird and can be configured to keep the mail in the gmail mailbox, ignoring outlook's setting.

They recommend using imap because its better for access from multiple computers. But you should be able to use pop3 if you prefer it.

Thank you so much for your patient and thorough response. In order to get the right settings, I needed to call the provider, but when I told them what (you said that) I needed, it made sense to them, and they helped me complete the changes. I am grateful for your help!

Glad to have been able to help!

Thank you, thank you. Haven't had the pleasure of this much frustration in setting up a new computer in quite awhile. I've stuck with Outlook 2007 until now, when 2013 came packaged with the new PC. I very much appreciate that your solution works, and that you provided it so clearly and without confusing terms and verbosity. Thanks a heap.

You should still be able to use POP3 if that is what you prefer. Log into the account at gmail.com (or whatever url you use for web mail) and check settings. Enable pop3 support - instructions for pop3 are linked from that page. You'll use the same smtp that imap uses, only the incoming server will be different.

I'm not sure what setting you enabled to leaver mail on the server with imap - imap is a server-based account. You can use it with POP3 if desired, although gmail is weird and can be configured to keep the mail in the gmail mailbox, ignoring outlook's setting.

They recommend using imap because its better for access from multiple computers. But you should be able to use pop3 if you prefer it.

Hi. I have the same problem, using Comcast.net. When I set up the Comcast email account in Outlook 2013 as a POP3 account, the email will not download from Comcast. I contacted both Comcast and Microsoft, and used the settings they suggested for the POP3 account (2 separate attempts). They each blame the other for the problem.

Meanwhile, I have solved my issue by moving all my emails in Outlook 2013 to a different folder (within Outlook) that does not synch with Comcast. This took some doing, and I figured out which folder to use by trial and error. The inboxes are still synched. I have to be careful to move anything I want to keep into the other Outlook folder, which is a pain, but at least that way I don't have to keep every email online taking up space and creating vulnerability.

If you have any ideas why the Comcast email wouldn't download using POP3 for the Outlook 2013 settings, please let me know. Comcast seemed to think it was not possible.

Polly

If Comcast supports POP3, then it should work. Did you get any error messages?

The settings here should work - https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010

Incoming: mail.comcast.net

port 995, SSL (More settings, Advanced tab)

Outgoing : smtp.comcast.net

port 465, SSL (Advanced tab)

Hello! This is right up my problem alley. I upgraded my desktop to Windows 8.1, with Outlook 2013. Outlook is setup using imap as it was the "default". Hate the synchronize for the most part, also hate to admit it has come in handy. I also have a laptop. It is setup with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Outlook is setup using pop3. Now the problem. I just noticed today that all but the last 2 weeks of emails have disappeared from Comcast and my desktop. They appear to be only on my laptop. My desktop is my primary with all my archived/saved messages. How can I get them back to Comcast, to then get them back to my desktop. Then to turn off the synch (which I think I see is changing it from imap). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!

That is because Outlook 2010 is set up as POP3 and is set to leave mail on the server for 14 days. You can either change the # of days mail is left on or change 2010 to also use imap.

File, Account Settings, double click on the account then More settings, Advanced tab to change the leave on server settings. Screenshots are at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/to-leave-internet-messages-on-the-server/

If I no longer want to synchronize. It causes issues on a daily basis with Outlook 2013. I have to close it and open it again for it to download my messages. I think I should change both to pop3. Having the properties on the desktop set to delete them off the server. Is that correct? After I make that change, the synchronization should stop. I can then do a backup on the laptop and a restore to the desktop to get everything back where I need it. Is that the right path?

Yes, that is the right path.

I am having the same problem but when I try to reset the account to POP3 it won't let me so I try to add a new account and it won't let me because "another account is using" the server so it can't log in to the mail server AND YET the test message works. so I am stuck. I can't afford to lose all the content on my system. Now what??? I have Time Warner's Road Runner as the provider

I'm having a similar issue. I am using IMAP folders on my mailhost (asmallorange.com). I was previously using a hosted exchange account (which definitely seemed better, but much more expensive).

Anyway, I have two computers - home and work. I'm using Outlook 2013 on both. When I create a folder on one machine and then access email from the other, the folders don't match. I thought this was the purpose of IMAP...

I've used the IMAP Folders button in Outlook to "look" at my folders, but they are not there. So ultimately, I think Outlook is not copying the newly-created folder to the server which, in turn, is not being downloaded to the other computer.

Any assistance provided is appreciated as I am going mad trying to find/capture emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.