IMAP accounts and existence of similar folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I've noticed that some of my IMAP accounts have similar folders within their respective folder structure (e.g. Junk as well as Junk-Email, Trash as well as Deleted Items...). Does Outlook (2010), as well as other IMAP mail or webmail clients, add its own "system" folders to the structure?

I know about setting the root folder path, but that's not the case here (this would actually in my case apply only to my own domain's mail account, as it has mail folders as subfolders of Inbox -- yet it's the only account where the folders are actually consistently the same when viewed in Outlook, webmail (Horde), or iOS mail client).

One example - me.com email... Accessing with webmail iCloud client, I see these folders:

Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Archive, Trash, Junk, and (section labeled "Folders") Deleted Items, Junk E-Mail.

Outlook displays: Inbox, Deleted Items, Archive, Deleted Messages, Drafts, Junk, Junk E-Mail, Notes (this one is also on iPad/iPhone mail client), Sent Messages.

At first sight it looks like Deleted Items and Junk E-Mail were created by Outlook (hence, under "folders" in iCloud). And "Trash" in iCloud is probably "Deleted Messages" in Outlook.

GMX is even more inconsistent:

-webmail: Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Archived, Junk-Email

-Outlook: Inbox, Trash, Archived, Drafts, Junk-Email, OUTBOX (all caps...), Sent, Spam

Is there any safe way to clean these up to make it more consistent?

Addendum: I was able to "map" the me.com's Deleted Messages in Outlook properly (so I was able to remove the one Outlook created). However, I still can't get rid of "Junk E-Mail" folders; I can remove them on the server (and in turn choose Update Folder List in Outlook). But they get re-created on every relaunch of Outlook. Do these instructions apply in this case (so if I add the corresponding registry key, that folder won't be re-created on IMAP accounts anymore)?

I did that, exited Outlook, even rebooted the machine... the "Junk" button is grayed out; however, the "Junk E-mail" folder was recreated on every IMAP account again.

Any idea what the "OUTBOX" folder (all caps) could be (on GMX mail)? It doesn't show up on their webmail interface, or on other devices - I can only see it on my Outlook 2010. Is this what Outlook creates (on server or locally?) for itself when sending mail via IMAP account?

I've also used me.com mail and my own domain's via IMAP, but no such OUTBOX was created there. (Although to be fair, my own domain's account seems to be somehow immune to creating the "Junk E-Mail" folder as well. :) )

Outlook 2010 shouldn't be creating Outbox folders - it doesn't use the imap data file, it uses the default data file's outbox. I'll see if i can repro. Outlook 2013, well, that is a different story since it can use the imap folder.

One thing that could be a giveaway that it's not an Outlook's folder is also that the Delete Folder is not grayed out; and when trying to delete it, I get a dialog box saying it's not possible to delete the folder & that the server responded: "source folder connot be renamed." (exactly so :) ).

This is on a gmail account though, right? I don't recall if google apps creates a folder like that, but gmail doesn't. Can you unsubscribe from it?

No, not Gmail. GMX.

Yes, I can subscribe or unsubscribe normally.

No, not Gmail. GMX.

Oh. In my best Emily Litella voice "never mind". :)

If the folder is not online, unsubscribe from it in outlook.

As for consistency, have you checked the online options for your account to see if you can select the folders to use for sent, junk, & deleted? If so, and if the outlook files synced up, choose them.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not Gmail. GMX.

Oh. In my best Emily Litella voice "never mind". :)

If the folder is not online, unsubscribe from it in outlook.

As for consistency, have you checked the online options for your account to see if you can select the folders to use for sent, junk, & deleted? If so, and if the outlook files synced up, choose them.

Yep, I did discover that in the meantime -- mapping the correct Sent and Trash folders (and deleting the extras) was pretty straightforward in Outlook after all. However, Junk E-Mail folder seems to be something that just can't be re-mapped, deleted, or whatever (Google didn't find anything relevant around either - at least for 2010 version). (I suppose creating Junk E-Mail folder on each IMAP server and not letting it go is Outlook's imitation of dogs marking their territory... ;) )

LOL. Yeah, Outlook likes to mark it's territory. I might steal that line. :) If the server has better junk filtering, you can disable it in outlook - you need to remove the pst file and let outlook a new pst after setting a registry key to totally disable junk mail. It also turns off the safe and blocked lists, which are used for allowing blocked external content by sender.

Be my guest. It's for the good of mankind. ;)

So the reason why the registry key thing didn't work on my Outlook (it kept re-creating the folder despite that) was probably because I didn't delete the PST files? Is it then enough to delete IMAP accounts' PST files while Outlook is not running (and they get re-created later on automatically), or does it include removing and re-adding IMAP accounts as well?

LOL. Yeah, Outlook likes to mark it's territory. I might steal that line. :) If the server has better junk filtering, you can disable it in outlook - you need to remove the pst file and let outlook a new pst after setting a registry key to totally disable junk mail. It also turns off the safe and blocked lists, which are used for allowing blocked external content by sender.

I see posts #12 and #14 are identical, and there's duplication in #10. Human error, server error, or on purpose?

The other day I discovered the greatest irony with the "Junk E-mail" folder:

Outlook.com uses its own folder called "Junk". When you connect to it via Outlook 2010, the "Junk E-mail" folder is, of course, added. And there's no way on outlook.com to either delete its "Junk" folder or remap it to "Junk E-mail" and eliminate the other one.

So even within Microsoft's realm, this part is beyond redemption... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.