Outlook 2013 EAS Account and POP Account - Common Sent Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakwood

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I use Outlook.com (Web mail) and Outlook 2013 on a PC with Windows 7. My Outlook.com account is synced with Outlook 2013 on my PC (created an EAS account in Outlook 2013). In Outlook.com I have an outlook.com email address and I added a my gmail address to it. The added gmail address is a "send only" account and I forwarded mail from gmail to my outlook.com account. When I send an email from Outlook.com I can choose which address the email comes from (either gmail or the outlook address) and in either case the email shows up in the one common "Sent" folder. This all works as I would expect.

Here is my question. I want the same behavior in Outlook 2013 on my PC. I created an EAS account (.ost) that syncs with the Outlook.com account and that all works fine. I also added a POP account (.pst) for the gmail address so I could have the option of sending from that account while in Outlook 2013. The problem is that created a second account with its own set of folders. When I send an email from the gmail address the email goes into that account's sent folder. I would like all emails to go to one common sent folder (the outlook account (.ost) "sent" folder) so it stays in sync with Outlook.com. You cannot move items from the PST file to the OST file.

As a work around every email that goes out is bcc to my outlook.com email address just so I can choose to save in an OST folder if I want.

Any thoughts on how to do this? Better work arounds?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no a good solution. You can't move the sent mail to outlook.com folders, you can't reply using the outlook.com account. You could set up the outlook.com as imap and upload mail that way - you can have both accounts in your profile. Actually... since you have two folder sets already, add the outlook.com account as an imap (leave the eas account in too) then use the gmail account details for the outgoing server. it'll drop sent mail into the sent folder and upload to outlook.com. It will also be on gmail, since they save all mail sent using their servers.

It would be configured like these instructions, but using imap instead.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-create-a-fake-pop3-account/

Hi Diane - thank you for this reply. I'm not quite sure I understand your direction and want to be sure I have explained my issue correctly. I think we are mostly on the same page. But in the end, when I am in Outlook 2013 and send an email from my xxxx@outlook.com address all is good. The email goes into the sent folder of the OST file. When I send one from the xxxx@gmail.com account it goes into the sent folder of the PST file. Anything in that PST file does not sync up to my Outlook.com account. I would like those gmail emails that I send to be synced to the outlook.com account so when I access that account from other computers, phone, etc... all of my emails are in one place. Hope that makes sense. Again, I appreciate your help. (I have other questions on my set-up but I'll put that in separate posts).

Correct, mail sent by the gmail account that is in the pst can't sync up using an EAS account.

But, if instead of creating the fake gmail/send only account as a pop account, create it as a imap account where the incoming server is the outlook.com account. Use the outlook.com logon for the incoming server and the gmail server and logon for the outgoing server. The sent item will go into the sent folder and sync up.

Outlook's ugly gray makes it hard to see the different dialogs - but as you can see, the message I sent from gmail is in the outlook.com sent folder, viewed using the EAS account. You'll want to use a decent email display name. :) I have every thing downloading into both the EAS and IMAP account, but I didn't take the time to configure IMAP account to not check for new mail.

imap-outlook-gmail.png

IMAP instructions: http://www.outlook-tips.net/outlookcom/configure-imap-accounts-outlookcom/

Actually, I'm not sure what settings you need to sync mail up using IMAP - you'll need to experiment with the best settings. The Sync slider in the IMAP account can be set to the lowest setting to reduce the amount of mail that syncs.

I'd try these send and receive settings for the IMAP account - if you select the inbox, mail should download from the outlook.com server, but it won't be included in the send and receive.

send-recieve-settings.png

Wow, thanks Diane for your efforts on this. I hope to try this out sometime today and will reply with my discoveries.

That worked perfect! I'm impressed. Thanks!

I noticed when I receive a gmail and click reply, it defaults to replying from my xxx@outlook.com address. I can switch it in the drop down, but it would be nice if it automatically replied from where it came from. Any thoughts?

Outlook uses the account that downloaded the message as the reply and having one account pick up results in it not working correctly. But you can use a macro to send from the address the message was sent to.

See Reply using the address a message was sent to for the code sample.

Outlook uses the account that downloaded the message as the reply and having one account pick up results in it not working correctly. But you can use a macro to send from the address the message was sent to.

See Reply using the address a message was sent to for the code sample.

Thanks Diane. Sorry so long getting back to this! Ok, I read your answer and link and I'd like to learn to do this... but I have no experience with macros. So is this an existing macro that I need to find and alter, or am I creating from scratch?

Assuming your gmail is forwarded by gmail to Outlook.com or outlook.com goes and gets it from gmail, leaving the gmail address in the To field, that macro will look in the To field for the gmail address and set it as the reply account. You need to change the address: alias@domain1.com to your gmail address. Then add it to a QAT or ribbon button and click it to replay, not the Reply button.

Gmail is automatically forwarded to my outlook.com account.

I understand what you are suggesting, I just don't have the knowledge of working with macros. No clue how to accomplish what you are suggesting. I guess I'll do some research on macros in Outlook.

Diane - sorry to drag this out... but... do I paste the whole code string shown below in the macro I'm creating and then change where ever I see "alias@domain1.com" replace with my gmail address?

Public Sub AccountSelection()
Dim oAccount As Outlook.Account
Dim strAccount As String
Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objMsg As MailItem, oMail As MailItem

Set olNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")

' For a reply all version, replace Reply with ReplyAll
Set objMsg = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1).Reply

If TypeName(ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)) = "MailItem" Then
Set oMail = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1) On Error Resume Next

For Each Recipient In oMail.Recipients
strRecip = Recipient.Address & ";" & strRecip
Next Recipient

If InStr(strRecip, "alias@domain1.com") > 0 Then
' StrAccount is the account name as shown in the Account Settings list
strAccount = "alias@domain1.com"
Else
End If
For Each oAccount In Application.Session.Accounts
If oAccount.DisplayName = strAccount Then
objMsg.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
Else
' to reply using the account that downloaded the message
' leave the objMsg line commented
' remove comment to reply using default account
' objMsg.SendUsingAccount = olNS.Accounts.Item(1)
End If
Next
objMsg.Display

Else

End If

Set objMsg = Nothing
Set olNS = Nothing
End Sub

Yes, replace the address in the code with your account name. It's actually the display name of the account, which in Outlook 2010 and 2013, is the email address. Look in File, Account Settings, Email tab and use the name that is displayed there.

Hi Diane,

You helped me in a previous thread, and I'm currently trying to set up more or less the same as what oakwood is trying to do, except with multiple email accounts.

Stupidly after creating an IMAP account and copying my vast 15 years of emails across to it (which was a huge pain as outlook 365 and IMAP don't seem to be totally happy with each other), I removed the local IMAP archive and set up the account again as Exchange, thinking this would be quicker and better (it is) however didn't realise I now can't set up a shared 'sent' folder regardless of email address I send from. Or can I?

Anyway, my question really is this - in your above mentioned macro to enable me to send from the received email address, can I have multiple addresses in there?

EDIT Above macro doesn't seem to work for me - not sure if I'm missing something, but replacing the email address field with the appropriate one, when I hit the macro it just opens a new reply window, but with my default account selected, not the specified one.

Hmm. Tried it again and get a syntax error on the line

If TypeName(ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)) = "MailItem" Then

It should be If TypeName(ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)) = "MailItem" Then

Wordpress sometimes screws it up and uses the HTML codes for quotes and ampersands (and greater and less than characters)

I was double checking the code yesterday and it's not working with my multiple accounts again. :( I reverted it back to the code before I updated it a few weeks ago.

I was actually trying to make it automatic when hitting reply or replay all button and it wouldn't work... making it work is my current goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.